I believe I have gynecomastia. Should I lose more weight? I'm 16

I'm 16 and a guy, I lost 33 pounds, I'm now 129 pounds at a height or 5'5 1/2 feet tall, I believe I have gynecomastia cause I feel this small cluster behind my nipples, as you can see in my photos, from a doctors perspective what do you see? Should I get down to a solid 120 or what? I've doing 6 sets of 17-18 diamond push-ups for 1 month so far does it show? My family says I'm too skinny/lanky is that true?

Gynecomastia Concern at 16 Years Old

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
Categorized as #physiologic gynecomastia, up to 2/3 of boys going through puberty develop some form of gynecomastia. This form of gynecomastia is due to the surges in testosterone and estrogen which often lead to an imbalance of the testosterone:estrogen ratio. Puberty is a difficult time for most boys, with many changes occurring not just physically but also emotionally. Developing gynecomastia during this age can affect the self-image and confidence of a teenager. The peak incidence occurs around 14 years of age.
In up to 75% of boys who develop pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 2 years. In 90% of boys with pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 3 years. So deciding who needs surgery is very important in this age group because a majority of these boys will not need any intervention.
#Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own. Meanwhile, #Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Your chest

Thank you for all of the photos.  At 16, even if you do have gynecomastia, there is a reasonable chance it will subside on its own.  From the photos, I don't see anything compelling. A good start is a consult from a board certified plastic surgeon. More information is available in the link attached.

Tim Neavin, MD

Thank you for your question and photographs.  It sounds as if you are doing all the things necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle and develop your chest.  Because gynecomastia is enlargement of the male breast tissue, and not fat or muscle, diet and exercise will not directly affect any gynecomastia that is present.  Gynecomastia is quite common in adolescents and those undergoing puberty, with most cases spontaneously resolving.  From your pictures alone it does not appear that you have gynecomastia, however an in-person examination is needed to truly diagnose it.  

Weight loss and gynecomastia

Your weight has nothing to do with your gynecomastia. it is a common myth. Many kids/guys will try losing a lot of weight as they think it will make it go away. Gynecomastia is enlargement of the breast gland. The gland does not change with wieght. In fact as you lose more weight the brest tissue may become even more apparant. At 16, there is still a chance the gynecomastia will resolve on it's own. if it's still there at 18 it probably won't go away. don't let any of this stuff stop you from exercise. Go for it.

Gynecomastia?

You have a nice looking chest -- enjoy it!

Nothing wrong with exercise.  Trying to lose additional weight is not really needed -- at your age your body is rapidly growing.  Just eat healthy and exercise and enjoy your teenage years.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
NEw York City 

Gynecomastia?

You are doing everything right, and your physique looks good. Your photos do not demonstrate Gynecomastia, and you should allow more time to pass, because by your 17th birthday, the cluster you feel will probably be gone. Check out the link below to an article about Gynecomastia, as it should answer a lot of your questions. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Gynecomastia

There is a wide range of situations that are called gynecomastia. You certainly appear to be within the normal range. Keep exercising because you want to get stronger but it will not have terribly much effect on what you're looking at. Bottom line, leave well enough alone.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Based on your pictures.  I do not believe you have gynecomastia.  Your chest contour is appropriate for your height and weight.