Incision opening. How long should I expect before this closes up? (Photo)

My question is how long should I expect before this closes up using this method wet to dry and besides going back to the OR any recommendations on a quicker method? Also where I'm doing the wet to dry I'm filling the area with 2 2x2 gauze rolls to get an idea how deep it is.I'm going through 3 5x9 pads a day covering the area that's getting soaked with a light brownish red color any idea when that will stop?
This is a follow-up to an earlier question. Click here to read it.

Surgeon review

You should see your surgeon. The dressing method you are using is time consuming and I believe unnecessary. It may take a few weeks to heal. If you see a surgeon it is a simple & straightforward & painless procedure to have the non viable tissue removed in the rooms. This should hasten the speed of your recovery.  Your overall result already looks excellent despite this minor complication. All the best

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Incision separation or necrosis of tissue

Hi,
  Comprimise of the blood supply to the redraped tissue in an abdominoplasty is a well known complication but not a bad one in your case.  You have a lateral opening and this would probably be from  the tissue separating and not necrosis.  The most common place for necrosis of the tissue is in the middle of the incision just above the pubic hair.  This can be a necrosis and this takes longer to heal but still approached with many methods including wet to dry saline debriding dressings.
  The treatment you are getting is fine.  You are packing the wound and it will close without any further surgery.  Just be patient.  You are young and if you are a non smoker, this wound will lose its yellow milky appearance and then turn pink/red.  This is your body creating "granulation tissue".  It will fill in the hole and you will notice a red line of thickening around the hole as it heals.  This is the skin that will cover over the granulation tissue.  The closure has to go in stages and that is difficult to predict but it would be very common for this to get smaller and smaller over 3-8 weeks.   Just a guess !!!
  I still am amazed at how great the healing is after an opening that is treated this way without any further surgery at all !!   However, having said that, if the scar is not as nice as you like, then you can revise the scar in the office and in most cases, you cannot even notice where the opening was.  Pretty magical !!!
  Be patient.....do the dressings as your doctor has instructed and you will not have any less of a result than if you did not have this separation of tissue.
  Good luck with it all.  All plastic surgeons that do a great deal of body contouring/tummy tucks have seen or will see this problem.  Me included !!!

Progress of healing of incisional problems after abdominoplasty.

The rate of feeling will depend upon the nature of the injury. After and abdominoplasty the tissues involved often times have compromise blood supply. This will prolong the healing.

Incision opening. How long should I expect before this closes up?

I am sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. Superficial separation of the incision line is a known complication after tummy tuck surgery. Close follow up with your plastic surgeon will be in your best interests; sometimes removal of a exposed suture and/or removal of any unhealthy tissue will expedite healing. Otherwise, wound care regimens will differ from one plastic surgeon to another. Generally, this will involve application of some type of sterile dressing ( in my practice I use a non-stick dressing covered by a sterile dressing). You should have peace of mind that these types of wound healing problems generally go on to heal over the course of the next several (2-4) weeks, without long-term sequelae. Also important to concentrate on a healthy diet, including good protein source. Occasionally, in the event of a wider scar, scar revision surgery may be helpful down the line. Best wishes.