Do I have gynecomastia or chest fat? (Photo)

I'm 16, I feel these balls of lumps behind my nipple, I also feel these balls and lumps in my lower stomach is this just plain fat? I lose 32 pounds. Should I lose more weight to get rid of this fat? My goal weight to get down to is 125, write now I'm 132 pounds, and my height is 5'5. Is this a weight problem or gynocomastia problem? PLEASE ANSWER SOON!

Determining If You Have Gynecomastia

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. 

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Common now

At your age, you are going through hormonal changes and it's very, very common for gynecomastia to appear. However, it generally goes away by 18 to 20 years old. You can try losing weight, but I think that if you wait a couple of years, it will go away.

Ronald Levine, MD

Lumps behind nipples

Great questions, but unfortunately you really do need a physical evaluation by a plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia. It will be the only real way of getting your questions answered. In any case, it appears you could possibly have a mild case of gynecomastia. At a glance, weight does not appear to be your issue. You are a very slender guy. Typically when you feel a lump behind your nipple this cannot be improved through weight loss as it is related to breast tissue not fat. I have provided a link to a detailed explanation of what is called Puffy Nipple. Read though this section to learn more. 

Gynecomastia?

appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Gynecomastia

Without an exam, it is difficult to say whether or not you need a direct excision or liposuction to improve your condition. 

gynecomastia Waterbury, CT

It looks like you have mild gynecomastia.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia

What appears as gynecomastia can either be excess breast tissue or fatty tissue or both. The treatment works depend upon the physical examination.  This is not a weight related issue in your case and some surgical correction would be necessary,

Do I have gynecomastia or chest fat?

Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.