Is there something wrong with my chest? I'm 16 (Photo)

from a doctors point of view, what does my body look like? do I look fat? Is there something wrong with my chest? What's the average weight for a person my height and age? I'm 16 I'm 5'5

Consult with a Board Certified Surgeon to Better Determine

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Adolescent gynecomastia.

Nothing is wrong with your chest.The swelling may be temporary if less then two years.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Is there something wrong with me?

No, you are not fat, you look very normal for your age. As boys go through puberty it is very common for their breasts to swell, this is due to hormonal changes in their body. This happens to many boys and the good news is that in most cases it will go away by itself, usually within a few months or up to two years. If it hasn't gone away after two years, it is possible that it has become permanent, but this only happens in about 5% of the cases. If you find it is causing you a lot of emotional anxiety it would be wise to seek a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia, to evaluate your condition and let you know what your options are. Best of luck to you!

Miguel Delgado, MD