Suggestions postpartum and mommy make over?

In regards to getting a mommy make over, How long after having a baby do I need to wait? And is it suggested to breast feed to get weight off? I know breastfeeding is suggested for baby but is there any benefit to surgery.

Suggestions Postpartum and Mommy Makeover

Pregnancy along with aging result in weight fluctuations that can have a substantial impact on a woman’s body. It may cause loss of volume in areas such as breasts and buttocks and even affect the fat distribution in the face. It causes fat to be deposited in other unwanted areas, like your hips or thighs. It stretches the abdominal wall skin and muscle tone. And you can actually approach each of those areas and rejuvenate them and in some cases make them better than before pregnancy. It's always best to be at your ideal stable weight.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your baby.  You may consider a mommy makeover at least 6 months after delivery or after the end of breastfeeding.  Also, make sure that your weight has stabilized.  Be sure to consult an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Mommy make-over after a baby

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

• Great question - and I hope you and the baby are doing well.
  • Usually you wait 6 months at least before a mommy make-over, after delivering.
  • If you breast feed, you wait until 3 months after you stop breast feeding.
  • I know of no connection between breast feeding and mommy make-over outcomes.
  • If you plan more children, the tummy tuck part of the mommy make-over is not done until after your last child - or the next pregnancy stretches everything out again.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover - Following Pregnancy

Thank you for your excellent question. I recommend waiting 6 months after delivery or completion of breast feeding. This allows sufficient time for your hormones to stabilize and your skin to contract. You should attempt to return to your pre-pregnancy weight during this time. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast and body contouring for an in-person examination and to discuss the details of the procedure.

Candidate for a MM

Pregnancy and motherhood are wonderful and exciting times in a woman’s life. Many women, however, will experience unwanted permanent physical changes that are not always desirable. All too often, women find it emotionally and physically difficult to adjust to these new changes in their bodies affecting their self-esteem and personal self-image. These changes vary greatly and range from stretch marks and varicose veins to the more significant changes such as, smaller and sagging breasts, enlarged waist with redundant skin and larger hips.
Fortunately, there are many treatments available to correct or improve these common post-pregnancy changes. Many of these procedures are non-surgical or relatively simple outpatient surgeries. Some treatments are possible because of new technology such as lasers and liposuction developed in just the last few years. These surgeries are commonly known as the “mommy makeover”.

Far more important than deciding if a tummy tuck or a mommy makeover is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that!
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!
I have also attached a video for a possible Mommy Makeover Candidate.

Mommy Makeover Timing After Babies

Thank you for your question about Mommy Makeover.

In general, it is good to wait at least 6 months and until you are longer breast feeding.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Best time after pregnancy to have plastic surgery

Hi Mzthng,

Thanks for your question. I would recommend waiting at least 3 months at there earliest but preferably 6 months to 12 months and be at stable weight that you feel comfortable. Some people are still losing weight at 3 months. Breast Feeding certainly burns more calories than not, but it also causes your breast on enlarge and then ultimately droop but everyone is different. I would discuss this with your OB and see what they have to say. Get several consultations by board certified plastic surgeons that you feel comfortable with that can give a result that you expect to see. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@breastlift @breastaugmentation @mommymakeover @docmata #drcarlosmata

How old does my child need to be for me to get a tummy tuck?

The first consideration in the timing of a tummy tuck is the return of your body back to prepregnancy condition.  It takes about 6 months for the uterus to return to normal and the stretched skin and muscle to settle.

The second consideration is the recovery from a rptummy tuck is significant.  You can't lift anything more than 5-10 pounds for 6 weeks.  For patients who don't have a lot of help at home this means waiting for the baby to be about 2 1/2.  By that age, your toddler is walking, can get into their car seat with a little help, and climb into their own bed without lifting.  If you have a lot of help at home you could move ahead ealier.

Samuel Beran, MD

Thank you for the question. Best to wait at least 6 months to one year prior to seeking consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly as well. Make sure that you are aware that this operation is associated with a very significant physical and emotional recovery period.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Timing Mommy Makeover

There are several factors to consider prior to having a mommy makeover.

First, are you finished having children? The ideal timing for a mommy makeover is after you are finished all child bearing. If you get pregnant after the surgery it will undo some of the results.

Second, Are you back to your baseline weight? You will get the best results if you are able to maintain a stable weight after surgery. Therefore, try to get to your ideal weight prior to surgery. As long as you are healthy, it does not matter how you get the weight off - breast feeding or not.

Third - If you are having breast surgery, you should wait 3-6 months after delivery or after finishing breast feeding to allow you milk ducts to settle and your breasts to take on their new size/ shape (pregnancy usually changes breasts).

Fourth - You need to be able to arrange help. You will need someone to take over primary care of your baby for at least several weeks after surgery. This can often be the most difficult part to arrange. The first week or two you will be sore and tired and not able to assist with child care. After that you will feel better but you will have lifting restrictions and you will still not be able to assume full responsibility for the children.

Good luck!

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon