I had saline implants placed 20 years ago. Lately, when I roll over the right breast has a burning sensation, is this normal?

#breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery #breastimplants

Hello bbrads, Thank you for your excellent question. Without the benefit of an in person exam it's impossible to say for sure. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you.  If you seek out a second opinion look for the following:  *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertitti symbol with a Triangle.  Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person.  My best, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS    Care Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Change in sensation

Any change in sensation or pain should be evaluated especially this far out. Best to see a plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Any breast concerns should be addressed during an in person exam with your surgeon .  He may recommend a mammogram or other testing.  The burning you described is unusual. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Burning sensation in right breast 20 years after implants

Thank you for your question regarding a burning sensation in your right breast occurring 20 years after your breast augmentation. When you have any concerns about your breast health, you should always be evaluated in person. A plastic surgeon should evaluate your implants and either a gynecologist or family practitioner should evaluate your general breast health, at the very least. There are also surgeons who specialize in evaluating general breast health. Hope this information is helpful and good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

No this is not normal.  I would recommend that you follow up with your surgeon our see another board certified plastic surgeon in your area so that you can be seen for further evaluation at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz