What should be taken to alleviate severe dry pain during the blepharoplasty recovery phase?

I experienced excruciating pain from dry eyes for 7 days following blepharoplasty on my upper lids. I am now contemplating blepharoplasty on my lower lids. What steps could be taken before, during, and/or after surgery to alleviate the pain next time round? My dry eye condition is associated with aging and anti-depressants. Under normal circumstances, artificial tears are adequate to control the condition.

Dry eyes and blepharoplasty

Upper and lower eyelid surgery may exacerbate dry eyes. The problem is usually transient unless the septum is tethered on closure of the incision or too much skin is removed. If your dry eyes are stable at this point and you are considering lower lid blepharoplasty, the transconjunctival approach may minimize your risk of additional dry eye complications. The approach depends upon your examination and other findings. I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation and discussion of options and risks. Some patients do better with a little filler and laser resurfacing of the lower lids, rather than the more invasive surgical procedures. Best wishes with your decisions.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. You should discuss a medication plan with your surgeon during the consultation. Each surgeon's office has their own preferred treatment plans with specific medications. It is best for a patient to stick to the recovery guidelines provided by their board certified facial plastic surgeon. Please write down a list of all of your questions for your surgeon so that you are prepared to receive answers to all outstanding concerns during your consultation.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

History of dry eyes and Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question.  For patients with history of dry eyes (mild, moderate or severe), I recommend that they seek opthalmology clearance to determine their post-operative risk factor and ensure their candidacy for a blepharoplasty procedure.  For most patients, use of over the counter artificial tears or saline drops are sufficient lubrication but there are some cases where these over the counter remedies are simply not enough.

I would recommend, based upon your described history, that you discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon and potentially seeing an opthalmologist pre-operatively.   I hope this helps!

Dry eye pain after blepharoplasty

It's not typical to experience dry eyes after cosmetic eyelid surgery. There are many reasons for dry eyes, and if dry eye is significant, then cosmetic eyelid surgery may not be performed. Ophthamologists or eye surgeons can evaluate you to help determine and manage your dry eyes. Often hydration and lubrication is required.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Severe Dry Eyes?

Thank you for your question!  I suggest you seek a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your severe dry eyes, and have an over the counter eye lubricant before an after surgery.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel

Double Board Certified

Plastic Surgeon

Chicago

Hoffman Estates

Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Dry eye

elaineross123, Seek an experienced surgeon that is capable and experienced with doing transconjunctival surgery and hopefully knows how to do a "SOOF lift blepharoplasty". Make sure they know about your previous problem. As usual seek an experienced specialist that does "only faces". Should you see an eye MD make sure you get their input. See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon