Is swimming in a pool okay 21 days after FUE?

I had a 1200 graft FUE procedure about 3 weeks ago. I swim regularly as part of my exercise routine. My doctor's post-op instructions said I should wait 15 days before swimming. I waited an extra week out of an abundance of caution & I'm planning to wear a swim cap for a while, but I'm eager to get back in the pool. Looking around online, I've seen a lot of widely varying advice on how long I should wait - everything from a short as 10 days to over a month. What do you recommend?

Swimming

If you doctor said two weeks then you should wait two weeks. They know the details of your particular transplant while any advice given here is more general and not tailored to any certain patient. Usually I say 4 weeks before swimming in chlorinated water but I'm not your actual doctor. Waiting a week longer than your doctor said should mean you're safe- and you can rinse your hair afterward if you don't anyways if you want to be extra safe.

Santa Monica Hair Restoration Surgeon

Swimming

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Santa Monica Hair Restoration Surgeon

Swimming in a pool 21 days after surgery should be fine. If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor.

Swimming in a pool 21 days after surgery should be fine.  If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Your doctor gave you good advice; An extra week should certainly make you feel more secure. Please make sure you do NOT sunburn your scalp for the first 3 months. Cover your head with a hat or use a sunscreen with UV block.

Swimming after a hair surgery

You should check with your clinic because the post op instructions can vary. In my practice I recommend my patients to swim one month post operation . Hope this will help All the best

Swimming after a hair surgery

When is safe to swim after #hairtransplant?

usually after three weeks, you should be completely healed and it is safe to return to your normal activity including  swimming.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

3 weeks is fine - with caution

Great question. The best answer that I give my patients is that it is fine after the 1st 10 days to slowly get back in to your routine of going to the gym and swimming etc. But you must be cautious and still do what you can to make sure that you protect the transplant area, such as a swim cap or hat to protect from the sun. I hope this helps. 

3 weeks is fine - with caution

About two weeks after you should be fine

Hello. It is good to ask before hand. You can swim and get back to your usual activities once the transplanted and donor area heal. This takes approximately between one to two weeks. If you see that everything up there is back to normal, then go for it.Best of lucks

Smimming after a hair transplant

by 21 days, things should be healed enough if all of the crusts are off so you can go swimming with a swim cap

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smimming after a hair transplant

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon