Which surgeons in the DR are best for patient's that are heavier and want TT, lipo & BBL?

I work for a physicians group and my docs are requesting to speak to the surgeon, preoperatively. Are any DR docs willing?

Plastic Surgery In The DR To Save Money?

I'm surprised and disappointed the physicians in your physicians group are supporting any of your efforts to go out of country for plastic surgery. I would not make that recommendation to anyone. The US has a plethora of good plastic surgeons who can do what you want and do it well without the risks of flying abroad. Who will take care of you postoperatively? Will you be flying to the DR for all of your postoperative visits? If not, expect to pay a local plastic surgeon a substantial fee to care for you, that is, if you can find one willing to take on that risk. The money many people think they are saving by going abroad doesn't actually come to fruition when factoring postoperative care, possible complications, and revisions. Furthermore, if you are trying to get around the fact that you are "heavier" and that the surgeons in the US standards are higher as they are suggesting you lose weight before surgery, your thinking  is unsafe and potentially fatal. Think twice about going to a surgeon who does not put your safety first and foremost in order to get your money. "Heavier" patients have a "heavier" risk for complications, some of which may prevent you from flying back to the DR for treatment and follow-up. You only get one body and one life. Don't compromise. 

Sacramento Physician

Tummy tuck, lipo and BBL combined risk

Dear Washingtonian,

I am glad that you are using this forum to be more informed. The fact that your doctors did sway you from trying to get the above mentioned combination simultaneously, is clear evidence that they are not aware of the significant risks that you will taking. 

I a recent article in the plastic surgery journal, which was based on data from cosmetic surgery insurance company, it was revealed that the combination of tummy tuck with any additional surgery, increases the severe complication rate by 2-3 times. Combining tummy tuck with liposuction increases these complications X 10!!   

So, buyer beware !!!!!!!

It is clear that cost saving with surgery is your main motivation for looking into DR, because no country in the world  is better or safer than the US (definitely not the DR )  , as far as cosmetic surgery. Well, cost of surgery is important, but quality of surgeon and surgery center is more important, because if you will need corrective surgery, the total cost will escalate dramatically , especially if the complications will admit you to a hospital for long recuperation. 

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeon in the US who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf'  for ratings and positive experience reports.

Dr Widder

Not a good idea....

Optimize your health and stay local.  That way, your risks are minimized.  There is a direct correlation between BMI and complications rates.  Furthermore, if you have complications, popping onto a plane and going back to DR does not seem prudent.  

Surgery and travel

I think that you are better off staying locally for your surgery to get appropriate early and late post-op care. Best of luck.

Tummy tuck in the heavier patient.

Wherever you go your if you are above a safe weight your risk of complications may increase. Plastic surgery is not for weight loss, but for contouring or treating resistant areas. In anyone's hands you want to make yourself a low risk patient before considering elective surgery.

Follow up care is perhaps more important than the day of surgery itself. Please consider a surgeon who can be there for you if you have any issues.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Using a DR plastic surgeon

Thank you for asking about your DR plastic surgery.

It is very nice of the doctors in your group to be looking out for you, but travelling abroad especially to an underdeveloped country where you do not know the surgeon to have him perform major elective surgery is not the best way to do it. The quality of DR surgical facilities does not come close to those in the USA and catastrophic infections have led the State Department to issue a travel advisory against medical tourism to the DR.  Recently one plastic surgeon in the DR lost his license because of multiple unreported patient deaths. If you go, even with your doctors looking out  for you, this is a risky way to have any surgery. You should at a minimum travel with a companion who will be looking out for you, speak fluent Spanish and make a pre-operative visit to meet the surgeon and inspect the surgical facilities.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.  

It is always recommended to have a liposuction with transfer to your buttocks first as this guarantees more fat to be transferred than when it is combined with another procedure . As a surgeon is only allowed to take only about 1000cc of fat in a combo procedure instead of 4000cc in a single procedure, 6 months after will be a perfect time to have a tummy tuck.  

Be very careful not to be tricked by gimmicks and do your research. Plan to have a responsible caregiver. If you are traveling by yourself then call ahead and get recommendations from your surgeons office about places to stay and reliable post operative caregivers that they have used before. It is also a good idea to inquire about purchasing cosmetic insurance that will cover complications that could occur within 30 days after surgery. Complications  that are associate with the cosmetic procedure are usually not covered by your regular health insurance

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.