How to soften prominent nasolabial fold on the left side of my face? (Photo)

I have a prominent nasolabial fold on the left side of my face that runs from my nose to my mouth. This is a result of suffering from hemifacial spasms for eleven years. My face was constantly twitching until I underwent MVD surgery in 2009 and experienced immediate relief from the facial spasms. I was hoping that the fold would be minimized now that my face is not twitching anymore. It seems to be more obvious now especially when I am not smiling. Would it be safe to use a filler ?

Cheek filler

I would say yes. If you look also at your cheek on your left side this is significantly lower than the right which will be contributing to the nasolabial fold. I would suggest correcting the cheek and then the nasolabial fold for a good result.

Injectable Fillers

Thank you for your question in regards to injectable fillers. It is best to stick with hyaluronic acid based fillers such as Juvederm and Voluma. Fillers are used to add volume and help soften the appearance of deeper folds and wrinkles. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS