PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) patient but wants laser hair removal for face

For years, I never knew why I had so much hair growth on my face until 2009. In 2009, I was diagnosed with PCOS and that answered my question. However, I would like to have laser hair removal for the hair that is on my face. Is there a strong likelihood that after the treatments that the hair will never grow back or would I still be plagued with the hair at some point because of the constant pumping of androgens in my body?

PCOS and Laser Hair Removal

Laser hair removal for the face can be absolutely life changing for women with PCOS. It often requires more treatments and sometimes more maintenance to keep the face free of unwanted hair, but many women feel like it is absolutely worth the effort. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

PCOS and Laser Hair Removal

The answer would depend on whether you are getting the PCOS treated. I hope you are, mainly for reasons of fertility. At some point in your life, you may decide to have children. Untreated, pts with PCOS will have more problems getting pregnant.
Every person who gets laser hair removal can expect to need some maintainance sessions at some time. The laser ONLY treats the hair that is there when the laser is there! As we"climb the ladder of life" Mother Nature is putting some hair on our faces that we didn't have before. As long as the hair is still dark in color, the laser can treat it.

Hope this helps you!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon