Overweight: 40j to DDD breast reduction?

I am currently overweight as a 40j and my Dr wants to do DDD. I'm concerned if I should go smaller as everyone I know that has a breast reduction has increased a cup size since the procedure. I know it has to be proportioned to my size but I'm just tired of large breasts.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do this procedure ( like all other elective body contouring the stages,  when patients have reached their long-term stable weights.  In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast reduction procedure).

In regards to the outcome of the breast reduction surgery, the most important decision you make will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Careful preoperative communication is one of the keys to success with any type of breast surgery.   With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  The use of computer imaging is also becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

For example, I have found that the use of words such as “ proportionate” or “DDD cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  the use of computer imaging is becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Reduction sizing

Reduction has to be performed in relation to your starting point such that, if you are a J cup, I would not expect you to be less than a large C, at minimum.  For a true J cup, the surgical technique may well involve removal of the nipple and replacement as a free graft.  I have not had the experience of patients always increasing in size after the surgery; obviously, if you gain a substantial amount of weight, your breasts will increase accordingly.

Breast reduction

In general,. it is often very difficult to make the breasts very small if you start out very large.  Hard to say without an exam as well.

How small should I go with my breast reduction.

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• Breast reduction is a great operation -
  • But only you and your surgeon should decide how small to go.
  • Also it is very difficult to exactly predict your final breast size based on cup size but if you stay too large, you won't get relief from the pain and problems your breasts are causing you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast reduction

Hello and thank you for your question. 

Many women experience pain and discomfort with large heavy breasts. Some will often resort to using multiple bras,  Motrin,  pain medication and attempts at chiropractor or physical therapy. To date, there is no medical or scientific study proving that non-surgical options are of any value in treating this. 

The only treatment that is successful is surgery. All reductions are also lifts. Insurance coverage varies from plan to plan. It can be difficult to get insurance companies to cover the procedure, however, if you read the details of your plan and follow through step by step it is manageable. Unfortunately, most insurance carriers will only cover a breast reduction if the reduction meets certain arbitrary weight limits. Otherwise, they consider it cosmetic. 

You should seek several consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area before making any decisions.

Most reductions take a week off of work to recover. It will be about a month before you can resume exercise. 

As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and to make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care physician.

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon