Had Lipo but now I look like I'm pregnant, bulging upper abs. Any suggestions?

In Oct 2014, I had lipo on my lower abs, flanks and love handles. Despite managing my weight, my upper abs are bulging to the point where i look as if i'm 6 mos pregnant / deformed...I need help. this is uncomfortable and i feel worse that i did before i had work done.. the doctor that performed the initial lipo says it's my diet but i think this is something more. Do you recommend that i have another lipo procedure on my upper abs and if so, is there a preferred method for black woman?

Bulging upper abs after lower stomach lipo?

Thanks for your question.  It's very common to see patients who underwent lipo of the trunk but not the upper stomach return years later complaining that  they now have excess fat in their upper abdomen.  IF this is the case with you, as long as your weight is stable you may benefit from upper abdominal liposuction.  A face to face exam with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon will allow you to review your options and get a sound recommendation.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Bulging abs after liposuction

Thank you for the question!  It is rather difficult to fully evaluate your situation without an in-person exam.  However, you should keep in mind that liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.  Rather, it reduces fat in problem areas, enhancing your overall body contour.  Gaining weight after this procedure may cause an uneven distribution of fat, which would explain that bulging appearance that reminds you of pregnancy.  Even if you've maintained a healthy diet over the past 2 years, it is still possible for you to gain weight if your metabolism slowed down.  While it is possible to have another liposuction procedure done, you should schedule a consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. 

An in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your situation and guarantee an individualized medical advice.  Best of luck!  Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Liposuction - now deformed.

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• If you did not lose weight after liposuction, the fat returns to new areas.
  • If you gained weight after liposuction, fat returns to the original area also, making it look very odd.
  • If you are heavier now than you were two years ago, hard as it is to accept, you need to lose the weight.
  • You can have more liposuction you must lose at least 10 pounds afterwards and keep it off for a good result.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post Liposuction Swelling -- Start Venus Legacy, Vanquish, Exilis Ultra, Massage, Cellutone/Z Wave

If this is immediately after you should follow a strict post operative protocol with compression, RF treatments and massage.  If not then see an expert for a consultation for revision procedure.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Upper ab bulge

If you had children then it is likely due to weakness of the muscles or excess fat in the upper abdomen.. This often requires treatment when performing a full tummy tuck. Best to be seen in person.

Liposuction of whold abdomen is best

Your issues can be solved by having suction of your upper abdomen.   This will eliminate the bulge and give you a clean harmonious result.   You can do this whenever you see fit.    My Best,   Dr Commons