Best implant size - 350cc or 375cc (or smaller)? Currently 34/36 B, leaning toward 350/375cc silicone HP (Photo)

After breastfeeding for 6 years, I want to get back to where I was pre-kids -- a solid C cup. I have been as large as DD from breastfeeding. My BWD is 12. My concern is that I don't want to be too big. I'm very active - run 3 miles a day, play tennis 5 days a week. I won't be able to hide the fact I had some work done, but I don't want it to be *so* obvious. Is 350 good, or should I go a bit smaller? Also, I don't want any side boob to get in the way while running/playing tennis (hence the HP).

Smaller implants for athletes provide options

Hi, I have attached a link that might be helpful...

Hi 2jdsandme.  Thank you for the photos.  While an in-person examination of your breast tissue and dimensions is central to the decision making, approximately 320-360 cc is a reasonable range to go from B to full C, small D depending upon the style of brassiere.  If you choose the smaller sizes, you get more versatility to wear a wired bra when you want more fullness, or not for a more athletic look. Anything larger will make you a solid D cup more than likely.  When you see your plastic surgeon (ABPS certified recommended), try on the same volume sizers so that you can visualize the options better. Best wishes!

Implant Size options

Thank you for the question and photos.
Unfortunately there is no standardization for bra sizing and this varies with manufacturers. It will be impossible to accurately predict your post op bra size.

I recommend that you book a consultation and talk with your Plastic Surgeon about your goals and expectations. Your Plastic Surgeon will examine you and then provide a range of implant options based on your measurements and preferred look. If possible, try on sizers in office. My patients find this is a great way to get a feel for the implant sizes.

All the best

Best implants

How much is too much, is difficult to say. Every patient sees things a bit differently. You can always do a baggy test and see how the volume looks on you.

Straight Answers from Dr. Louton.

Your anatomy picks the range of implants that are best for you if you are looking for natural results.  Implants alone cannot reduce the skin envelope you have from childbearing.  An implant must fill that volume or it is too small and will look odd.

It is fun but meaningless to pick an exact volume or profile of implant outside of the operating room as your plastic surgeon must be committed to the final result.  That result must take into account your anatomy and desire.   Sizing helps your surgeon acquire your vision for a result.  You must decide whether to have a lift in order to go smaller than your anatomy permits.

Best implant size - 350cc or 375cc (or smaller)? Currently 34/36 B, leaning toward 350/375cc silicone HP

With the excess skin of the breasts as seen in your posted photos larger is better. Thus only in person opinions count......

Choosing an implant size.

Thanks for your question.

I usually recommend looking at implant sizers on your frame. I find this the best approach. I have attached the sizing Faq from my website below. I hope you find it helpful.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you  is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

SIze

Without your height and weight, it is impossible to know. If you are 5 feet tall, that is likely plenty for your goals. If you are 5' 10" it is almost certainly not enough dimensionally. Have good communication with your surgeon about your goals, even using photos and your surgeon will be able to advise you as to which implant is most likely to achieve your goals.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. It is hard to tell, with your arms elevated, whether or not some type of breast lifting will also be helpful. 

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant type/size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. In bra sizers can be useful communication tools also. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "solid C cup" or "too big" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during the communication process.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers).

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.