I recently had Sculpsure, does energy setying affect outcome. Any suggestions?

I recently had sculpsure on lower abdomen and flanks. The pain was so intense with my flanks I could only get up to a midlevel setting, will this effect my final result? My doctor claims output setting does not effect final result but that doesn't make sense to me. I'm think, 32 years old 116lbs, perhaps this is why it was painful?

Most Effective SculpSure Energy Setting

This is a very good question that comes up frequently in my practice. Evidence shows that based on two separate trials that measured the effectiveness of this 1060nm laser technology, the patients responded just as well with the laser power settings between 0.90 and 1.40 watts/sq. cm. This range creates sufficient energy to raise the temperature of the fat cells to the target temperature of 42 to 47 centigrade. In fact studies show that settings of greater than 1.4 watts per sq. cm do not improve the efficacy of the treatment and may be less effective or cause harm. This is why we ask the patient to let us know what their comfort level is. 

A SculpSure treatment should not be painful. The patient is given a discomfort zone chart that let's the patient communicate what is tolerable to him/her. The applicators can each be adjusted independently as the amount of discomfort may not be the same for all areas being treated.
A mid-level setting as you put it will work just fine and no less than a higher setting as long as it is within the recommended therapeutic energy setting. 
I have had happy patients that were treated at the lower range of energy settings and saw satisfactory results.

Ladera Ranch OB/GYN

Shoud be fine

There are a range of settings for the SculpSure device.
The lower settings can provide more comfort, but are within the therapeutic range.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure settings

Thank you for your question. The SculpSure settings will not affect your results. The settings are placed according to the pain tolerance of each patient. Our patients, who opted for lower settings during their procedure, still had the same great results.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Settings and Efficacy

The setting does not impact the results. As long as you are feeling the deep heating sensation then you are in the fat destruction zone and should have a successful treatment. Keep in mind, it can take 6 weeks to see results and optimal results will be seen at 12 weeks.

Nicole Hayre, MD
McLean Dermatologic Surgeon

SculpSure Settings

Hi Csc4517,

The SculpSure machine delivers complete treatment even at the lowest setting at .90. The different setting levels ensure maximum comfort for each individual because pain tolerance varies person to person.The setting levels are .90 to 1.4 all of which provide results. 

Jeffrey A. Klein, MD
San Juan Capistrano Dermatologic Surgeon

SculpSure settings are adjustable

The SculpSure laser is very sophisticated and allows for adjustments during the treatment.  As long as you maintain a certain level of energy delivery to the targeted area you will see results.  Pain does not equal results with this machine, if the pain level is too high it must be dialed down to prevent any skin injury.  People with less "target area" (less fat) tolerate the treatments better and the settings tend to be adjusted upward, while people with more "target area" tend to need lower settings.

In this situation, your doctor was correct.  As long as you were in Zone 3 or 4, the fat destruction zones, your treatment will be effective.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Do SculptSure energy setting affect outcome?

It does seem that slender people receiving Sculp[tSure sometimes experience a bit more discomfort than people with thicker layers of fatty tissue. Don't try to over analyze the customized settings which you received. Your results should be should be equal to all other patients.

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure Settings

Technically, once you hit the "fat destruction zone," with the settings, it shouldn't affect your result. However, in practice, I have noticed that if you can tolerate a higher setting - without being in total agony - then you may have a better result. For my patients, I will keep them at a high setting and continually cool blast them and then raise the setting again. This makes the treatment a little longer, but the end results may be better. It's hard to say - and if you ask the company directly, they'll say that it doesn't matter.  For my patients with a little more fluff, they tend to tolerate the treatment better - if you are thin already, and the handpiece is near or on bone, it can be a little difficult to tolerate a high setting. Rest assured, I'm sure you did not grossly affect your results. Best of luck! 

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Smithtown Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure settings

In general the settings for Sculpsure should not affect the results.  It's recommended that you stay at the hoghest tolerable level and most people can gradually oncrease the amount they tolerate throughout the treatment.
I have noticed that the more fat you have the less you seem to feel (but this is not all the time.) this hasn't affected result however. Enjoy your results

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

#Sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Procedures

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.

The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.

The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.

The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.

It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.

If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12.

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.  No compression garment required.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of our patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.

I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results.

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS