How frequently is lip numbness or loss of movement permanent with chin implant?

I'm considering a chin implant with a rhinoplasty and researching all the complications. The scariest to me is the risk of permanent damage to the nerves of my lower lip, chin, jaw that would cause permanent numbness or loss of movement. I'm wondering how frequently this occurs with an experienced facial plastic surgeon. Thank you.

Rhinoplasty and chin implant combination

In our practice performing rhinoplasty and chin implants for over 25 years,  we have only seen a couple of small areas of permanent numbness on the lower lip after a chin implant procedure.  We have never had a permanent facial nerve issue.  More importantly is to find a rhinoplasty surgeon who has extensive experience with that procedure since it is much more complicated and involved.  Our touch-up rate for rhinoplasty is 10%, so it is important to ask your prospective surgeon that question.  For many  before and after examples of rhinoplasty and chin implant combination, please see the link and the video below

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, in the hands of an experienced chin implant surgeon, permanent numbness or weakness is extremely rare.

Hope this helps.

Complications of chin implant

Nerves damage is a know risk of chin implant.I have never seen one in 40 years, doing about a 1000 such case.Technique and experience count.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Chin

Stella312, does not matter how frequent if you are the one that is affected; it is a risk that you need to accept if you want the procedure done. Having said that I"ve done nothing but faces for over 25 years and know of only one patient that had persistent numbness  on one side and she is still less than 3 months post op, it can take up to a year for some sensory nerves to wake up, although that is very unusual ( to last that long). I've never seen loss of movement from a chin implant. See an experienced specialist that does "only faces". See the video. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon