Why do I need to be drained so much, is this normal?

I had smart lipo done on my upper, middle, lower, flank and love handles August 31, 2016. Since then I have been drained three times. Is this normal?

I think it is quite unusual

i have done 621 Smartlipo cases and never needed to drain anyone. however, it can happen and it is nothing to worry about since your surgeon seems to be looking after it and is following you closely. 

david berman md

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo/Upper/Middle/Lower/Flank/Love Handles/Drained 3 times--Add RF Treatments, Velashape, Venus Legacy

This is normal to help with swelling.  Lymphatic massage, hyperbaric oxygen, compression, and radiofrequency treatments like Velashape and Venus legacy can help significantly.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

SmartLipo

Thanks for your question. The more drainage that comes out the better so that you have less swelling and bruising. However, swelling is normal and is usually cyclical being least in the morning and most in the evening. Usually, by one month the majority of it is gone. Hope this helps. Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Why do you need your surgeon to drain you out after your lipo?

Fluid accumulates in the areas that are treated with lipo of any type. The lipo incisions are usually left open so that the fluid can drain out on it's own with help from compression garments and massage. Sometimes, pockets of fluid get trapped and need to be drained out with help from your surgeon. These might be seromas and trapped fluid can be problematic if it gets infected.