My doctor suggested I have varicose vein surgery. I am 3 mos. out from abdominoplasty/breast reduction. How long should wait?

What exactly is involved with vericose vein surgery? My abdominoplasty and breast lift/reduction were done in one, long surgery. I have been healing well and am in good health generally but am concerned about the timing of more surgery.

Laser varicose vein treatment

Most varicose veins can be treated by a combination of closure of the refluxing saphenous vein valves together with microphelbectomies or sclerotherapy to the varicose veins. This procedure is done in the office under local tumescent anesthesia and sometimes with oral sedation.  This procedure can be done as soon as you feel comfortable from your first procedure. Realistically, 4 to 6 weeks would be sufficient between procedures.

Naples General Surgeon

Varicose vein surgery 3 mos out from abdominoplasty/breast reduction

Varicose vein surgery is performed in the office setting, as an outpatient, under local anesthesia, and is therefore considered very safe. As you are already 3 months out from your other procedure, you could proceed at any time that you feel comfortable. Realistically, it should have no impact or effect on your recovery or the results from the other surgery. It is not uncommon to have patients say to us - as long as I'm recovering from one, I may as well get the other done and recover from both together.

Craig Schwartz, DO
Leawood Vascular Surgeon

When to have varicose vein surgery

Most treatments for varicose veins can be done on an outpatient basis with little downtime.  Depending on what your doctor recommends, you should be able to have the vein procedures any time you feel ready.  I tell my patients that I will work with their schedules to make the vein procedures as convenient as possible.  It took your legs some time to develop varicose veins - there's no rush to get them fixed, especially since you just had another surgical procedure.  Don't put it off indefinitely, but do wait until you feel confident in your recovery from your last procedure.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Time between surgeries

I would wait at least three months after a major surgery like yours prior to having a vein procedure for varicose veins. There is nothing in the literature to support this, but this time gives time for the body to heal and time for you to feel better enough to go through another procedure. For example, if a patient who is pregnant has varicose veins, I wait three months after pregnancy to do an assessment. This is because the body hemodynamics go back to normal at that time and the risk of blood clots also becomes less. I would wait three months. As for timing of a procedure, it usually takes about an hour to do an endogenous laser ablation and removal of varicose veins (ambulatory phlebotomy). We do not put our patients to sleep and use only local anesthesia. If you are just having varicose vein removal, it is usually a quicker procedure.