My doctor is recommending an abdominal liposuction touch up for upper and lower abs but I am hesitant to do it again?

I am 5'1 133 lbs but have always had weight issues in my stomach. I had laser lipo on in July and he took out about 5 pounds now 4 months out I have minimal results. I have lost 1 inch on my lower abs and nothing in the middle or upper. I was told I have a pouch of fat in the middle and he has to go back in and be more aggressive. He is offering me a deal $500 but I am hesitant that I will not get results again. It is almost like the fat grew back. I have not gained weight.

Fat grew back?

A five lb weight loss from liposuction is pretty impressive.  To not see any significant results is very questionable.  A few photos could have helped in giving you a reasonable response.  It sounds like you had laser assisted liposuction and not an external laser treatment?  Is the person who performed the liposuction a board certified plastic surgeon?  If not then I would suggest getting a consultation with one.

Unhappy with results.

I agree with my colleagues below. 5lbs. is a lot of fat and should make a difference. Without seeing you in person or knowing more details, it is impossible to say why not. However, don't do something that isn't in your best interest just because the surgeon is offering you a deal. In fact, you might want to get a second opinion on your case from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below). Sorry that you are unhappy with your results. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Abdominal liposuction touch up for upper and lower abs

Never do anything you don't want to do 100% that isn't in your best interest just because the surgeon is offering you a deal.  In fact, you might want to get a second opinion on your case from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best of luck of your future cosmetic endeavors.

Laser lpio

The price is right, but what your expectations are is the issue. Laser lipo, unlike traditional small canuli lipo under anesthesia, is often too conservative an approach. If your surgeon was a board certified plastic surgeon, not just board certified but plastic surgery board certified, and she (or he) operated on you at a certified facility, then by all means take her or him, up on that deal. If not: see a board certified plastic surgeon, and ask a simple question: how many major liposuctions have you done last year? Don't settle for vague answers, and good luck. Paying little and getting less is a concern. All surgeries carry risks and disappointment is the most common complication of laser just takes too much time to harvest little, though it's a good surgery in the right hands.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

#Liposuction - abdominal liposuction touch up

It is difficult to offer advice in a case such as this without having more info - your height and weight beforehand (photos are helpful), exactly what was done, etc.  Five pounds is a lot of fat and it's hard to imagine that that much was taken out without a change.  And that, if that was the case, a touch up will make the difference.  As others have suggested, your fat may be intra-abdominal and therefore not accessible to lipo.

I'd suggest that you visit a few different plastic surgeons to get their opinions.  See if you can get a copy of your operative report without impacting your relationship with your surgeon.  You can explain that you want to have a few people look at you before you do another procedure and hopefully you can keep in friendly.  Because $500 is a very low price for a procedure, even a revisional one.  It may or may not be a good idea, but you should not be swayed by that price into doing something that is not in your best interest.  And it's very difficult for you to have to make that decision on your own.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Revisional procedures after liposuction.

Whether or not another operation would be beneficial is a judgment call. It's not uncommon for particularly large patients to benefit from a revisional procedure. From your description quite a bit of fat was removed the first time around. The fee for the revision seems very reasonable to me.

If there are areas that do not look as good as you would like them to, and if the doctor is confident that revisionary surgery can be helpful to improve those areas, then you should consider proceeding with revision. $500 is less than it costs me to have a patient in the operating room for surgery so it seems that your doc is being quite generous. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the abdomen

If you have a large intraperitoneal component that may keep your abdomen looking large.  It is difficult to tell you what to do without an exam.  Good luck.

Unhappy with liposuction result

Thank you for asking about your liposuction result.

• I am so sorry you had this disappointing experience.
  • For your surgeon to remove 5 pounds of fat from your tummy, you would have had between a 4  5 L liposuction.
  • One would expect a significant result, if fat was removed over the entire tummy.
  • Fat can come back to the same area but it is unusual - 
  • Is it possible that your surgeon removed most of the fat from the lower abdomen? 
    If so, new fat tends to settle above it.
    Regardless, if your surgeon is a plastic surgeon and you have confidence in him, then a second liposuction might be reasonable.
  • You could get a second opinion or go to another surgeon, but it will cost you more than  $500
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.