Decided on rhinoplasty: General questions on procedure (Photo)

For a few years, I've wanted to improve my side profile and fix my crooked bump and the curved down tip of my nose. I'm finally at a point where I'm ready to go through the procedure and have the means to do so. I've started researching surgeons in the DMV area. I've attached pictures, and am seeking info on which revisions I would have to get done and a price range. (I realize price shouldn't be the deciding factor -- this is more to help me understand if I need to save up a bit more.)

Rhinoplasty in Washington DC area

Hi.  It looks like you have already received replies from Dr. Papel, Mesbahi and Somenek who are all fine cosmetic surgeons and do good nose jobs.  Like any other patient seeking an improved nose through rhinoplasty you have to see a few surgeons and see what they recommend and decide for yourself.  Price varies greatly from surgeon to surgeon and from region to region.  Luckily for patients the prices in the DMV are much much lower than the prices just a few hours north in NYC.  But it is still expensive and a big financial commitment.  Photos are not as good as an in person exam because most if not all photos taken by an iPhone or an Android phone will have artifacts and distortion due to the refraction created via a small aperture lens.  But simply based on your pictures the aesthetic lines between the dorsum or bridge and the tip needs to change.  Its not simply your bridge or hump that needs to be reduced but as importantly your tip that needs to be reshaped to match the new bridge position.  In any case it would be hard to go wrong with any of the surgeons mentioned above and you have replied to your question.  All are fine reputable doctors.  

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Make sure your surgeon is planning, and can accomplish, all of the changes your nose requires.

See the Web reference link, below, for a computer modification that I made to your photos, showing proposed changes to your nose, changes that are possible in expert hands. I lowered the hump along the bridge of your nose, and I elevated the tip of the nose, and I also brought the entire nose back closer to your face. Perhaps you'll see that third change better in the animation, at the link.

You should understand that these changes, in particular elevating the tip and bringing it closer to the face, require advanced techniques that not all plastic surgeons can handle.  You must see before and after photos of any surgeon you are considering hiring, so you can see whether he has been able to make nice changes for other people that you would like for yourself. Seeing photos is your only way of determining the doctor's skill.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump and tip refinement

From the photos that you submitted, it appears that you would benefit from a rhinoplasty. It would likely involve smoothing out your profile by shaving down your dorsum that is creating the hump. Slight nasal tip rotation and refinement will help to correct the droopy tip. A consultation would be helpful for you to get photos and computer imaging to better understand the expected result and get all your questions answered. Best of luck!

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Options

Ultimately what needs to be done depends on your goals. An examination is important to truly make an assessment and I recommend you see a specialist that is a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon.  Many specialists have 3D imaging which allows you to see potential changes to your nose from multiple angles and ensure you create a unified vision with your surgeon. 
Price ranges can vary significantly in the DC area and should be the last of your considerations when it comes to your face.

Alex N. Mesbahi, MD
McLean Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty procedure

From your photos it looks like you have the most common issues patients want to change, a hump and tip changes. It is very important that you seek a surgeon who will evaluate not just these problems, but the functional aspect of breathing as well. If you have surgery to make your nose look better, you will want to be assured that the breathing will be good as well. Ask all the right questions at a consultation, and make sure you are satisfied your surgeon has the answers to make you comfortable.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing to have rhinoplasty

Thank you for the photos.  I think that you are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty.  You appear to have a very attractive face and the issues that you are concerned with regarding the appearance of your nose can be addressed and corrected.  I think we can even get rid of those black circles covering your eyes during surgery if you choose!! Price should not be the deciding factor in your choice of surgeons, but it would be naive to say that it shouldn't be at least somewhat of a factor in making your final decision on your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Your comfort with the surgeon and the understanding the two of you create regarding your desires and their ability to convey reasonable expectations should be the most important factors. 

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in Washington DC

Some terrific Rhinopasty Surgeon in the DC area (Drs. Papel, Naderi, Somenek) have answered the question and would be great starting points in your questions about Rhinoplasty.  The most critical factor in your choice is finding a Surgeon who really focuses on Rhinoplasty because of the inherent complexity of the procedure.  Based on the photos, you have the opportunity for a stunning result with the right Surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Decided on rhinoplasty: General questions on procedure

Best to seek many in person opinions vs over the internet ones! ......................................

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rinoplasty for side profile improvement.

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish refinement of the side profile by shaving down the dorsal hump, reducing the  hanging columella, lifting and refining the tip slightly and de-projection of the nasal tip. Since rhinoplasty is a difficult endeavor, choose your surgeon very wisely based on experience. Shop quality, not price since the nose is the most prominent feature on  Your face.  For many examples and our current price list, please see the link below