Day four after Gynecomastia surgery very concerned with incision cut/placement. Deformity coming? (photos sideways) (photo)

Prior to procedure, doctor and I discussed my biggest fear with gyno surgery. Having deformed or botched looking nipples. I indicated that I would rather not have surgery if this was a big risk. He indicated he would be cutting AROUND the areola in a half circular fashion to perform his excision and I had nothing to worry about. Based on these photos, it appears this is not what has happened. I'm incredibly upset. I noticed during the procedure, he was incredibly rushed.Any thoughts?Appreciated.

Post Gynecomastia Surgery Healing and Recovery

Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes.  Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia, placement of incision.

Thank you for your question and photos regarding gynecomastia. You indicated that your photos are just four days after your procedure. Four days after your gynecomastia surgery, it is way too early to determine anything. You are still swollen and still healing. What you see now is not what you get! Fortunately, most situations resolve on their own with conservative treatment.

After gynecomastia surgery, it is very important to follow your plastic surgeon’s guidelines. In my Beverly Hills plastic surgery practice, I believe it is very important to wear compression garments for 4 to 6 weeks after gynecomastia surgery. After gynecomastia surgery, lymphatic massage may also assist in proper healing.

Thank you for your question regarding gynecomastia surgery and placement of incisions. If you have any further questions regarding gynecomastia or gynecomastia surgery revision, please contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen.

It is difficult to determine as swelling may last several months. The swelling may also cause distortion. I'd recommend mentioning your concerns to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon at your follow-up appointment. 

Take care.

Gynecomastia and incision

It is way too early to see the final result. Things may change quite a bit over the next few months. Be patient.

Day four after Gynecomastia surgery very concerned with incision cut/placement. Deformity coming?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  I can see your cause for concern, but as you are only recently out from surgery you need to allow your results a few weeks to months to mature in order to assess your final results.  With your current swelling, bruising and fresh incision your results will change dramatically as the skin shrinks and tissues become more supple. Hang in there and maintain close follow up with your surgeon.

Appears scary but only 4 days postop. Allow 3 months healing than decide if the dents are permanent>>>>

Gynecomastia Healing

Hi Bradford74635,
Thanks for the post and photos. At 4 days it is extremely early in the healing process. There are many things that could affect the look of the chest at this time, namely swelling, inflammation, and bruising. These can also impact the look of the incisions at this time. There is nothing that could or should be done at this time regarding the incisions. Final incisions can take up to a year or year and a half to show final results. Be patient and keep in close communication withyour plastic surgeon.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD