CoolSculpting for Arms and Legs? Better to lose weight before or after procedure? (photos)

I'd love to know if I am a good candidate for CoolSculpting (or any non-surgical far-reduction procedure), specifically for upper arms, thighs (around knee and inner), and tummy. I would like to avoid surgery (liposuction) on account of cost and the general risks of surgery. Right now I weigh ~160 lbs. at 5'9", which is about 10 lbs. above my lowest weight and 5 lbs. above my average weight. Better to lose the 5 to 10 before the procedure, after, or does it matter at all? Many thanks!

Yes Your are a candidate for Coolsculpting

based on the pictures it appears you are a good candidate. Our ideal client is within 10 to 15 pounds of their body weight and Body mass index of under 25. Consult with an experienced provider for CoolSculpting and best of luck. It becomes increasingly more difficulty to lose weight in the problems areas and CoolSculpting is ideal for localized areas. 
Dr Soni

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Arms and Coolsculpting

You should be within ten pounds of your ideal weight to have coolsculpting.  You probably won't lose that much weight in your arms even if you lost five pounds. It looks like you are a good candidate for the procedure.  Please consult a specialist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting and weight loss

I always tell my patients that you will get your best results if you are at your ideal body weight prior to any surgical or non surgical procedure.  For some individuals, a 5-10 lb weight loss or gain can show a significant difference in the way you look!  Based on your pictures, you look like a good candidate for coolsculpting, as your skin still appears healthy(no stretch marks, not thin and paperlike).

H. Christopher Coley, MD
Greensboro General Surgeon

Cool Sculpting Arm. Legs, Abdomen

Dear Britt, From your pictures you are potential candidate for Cool sculpting. You have very little problem areas that may be amendable to the device. With that being said you need a great, honest medical practice for your evaluation because honestly your inner and outer thighs are already at a great shape. The approved areas for legs are for the "saddle bags" and inner thigh "hill" directly under the panty line which I don't really see on your pics. In regards to the knees, some practices are doing the cool mini there but it's off label. From the profile I think the abdomen might be the best area with predictable outcomes therefor choose a medical practice for your evaluation. Best of luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Results

CoolSculpting improves the fat, 20% per treatment, and often requires multiple applicators to be used to get contouring and a few treatments. I would suggest being at your ideal body weight to see optimal results. Best, Dr. Emer

CoolSculpting Candidate

You seem to be a suitable candidate for the treatment based on the pictures you provided. However, an in-person consultation and evaluation will be needed to determine if you are for sure and how many treatments you would need for optimal results. Being 5lbs over your average weight it doesn't really matter whether you lose it before or after treatment. The important thing is that you maintain a healthy diet and active lifestyle in order to achieve optimal results. Hope this helps answer your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Many patients are interested in whether or not they are good candidates for Coolsculpting or any other non invasive procedure for fat reduction.
The best way to determine this is with a consultation. However, an alternative is to call and speak with the office practice coordinator who can answer many of these questions over the phone. The areas on your belly and arms which can be easily pinched and that do NOT have too much loose skin are ideal for treatment.

Coolsculpt Treatment

Hello and thank you for your question. Ideally it would be best to get these fat reduction treatments when you are at your ideal weight, but with CoolSculpt it does take about 2-3 months for your body to process the fat that was frozen out of your body. This means that if you are currently on a diet and on an exercise routine then it would be okay to get Coolsculpted as you will probably get to your ideal weight in a couple of months anyways. Hope this helps, Regards Dr. S. 

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for Arms and Legs? Better to lose weight before or after procedure?

Thank you for your question. We usually recommend patients to be at their ideal weight before the procedure. Coolsculpting works best in patients with stubborn areas that are resistant to exercise and a healthy lifestyle. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD