Do I apply any medication/ scar treatments to the incision site after breast augmentation? (Photo)

It has been a week and a couple of days since my surgery and I have just removed the bandages. Do I apply anything to them? Scar treatment? Neosproin? Do I clean it with something specific? Like alcohol? The stitches are there and the wound looks a bit raised..

Every doctor has their own opinions about scar treatments

and subsequently, you should ask your surgeon since he/she will carry the burden should you develop any adverse scarring.  I personally do not use those products unless there is an indication that scarring will be less then satisfactory... the logic is why do it when it isn't needed.  Certain procedures carry more risk for scarring and augmentation is not one of them.

Do I apply any medication/ scar treatments to the incision site after breast augmentation?

I would not recommending any special scar treatment at this time considering the sutures are still in place.  In my practice, we do offer a scar cream one week after surgery.  Your surgeon may or may not recommend such therapy.  I advise you to communicate with your surgeon for this information.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

This is an excellent question for your surgeon of record. This should have been outlined in your post operative instruction sheet...

Scar treatments

At this point I wouldn't recommend anything but your PS may feel differently.  There are many ways to treat a scar but all depend on your healing and most PS wait until sutures are removed

For now just keep it clean until you can discuss it with your surgeon

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Post op scar treatments

There are at least as many answers to this question as there are surgeons.  If there were a proven correct way, we would all give the same advice. SInce that is not the case, your question is best addressed to your surgeon.

If there are external stitches, they should be out by now, so all the more reason to call.

Breast Augmentation Post Op

Each surgeon as his on protocol following surgery.  Follow up with your surgeon for an exam, so that he can determine the best scar treatment for you.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Incision care after breast augmentation

There isn't a right or wrong answer to this question. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences about how to optimize the healing of this incision. You should be safe to gently clean the dried blood with soap and water at this point. Options for further care include: 1. continued taping with paper tape  2. silicone sheeting  3. Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment  4. scar creams or gels  5. nothing.   The scar will flatten with time. If the scar feels a bit thickened, massage of the scar will help.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How to take care of scars.

Looks like you have a fresh inframammary incision that is healing well.  It does need to be cleaned and usually at this stage a little soap and water is fine.  Usually by now the stitches should have been removed as leaving sutures for a week or more will cause little railroad track marks.  After a few weeks if the incision is clean you may either tape the incision with paper tape or can use the Embrace dressing.  Keeping the incision free of tension and movement will reduce the tendency of the scar to widen and hypertrophy. I have not found scar treatments to be particularly helpful.  Mederma for example has an onion extract.  Steroid gel or tape tends to weaken the scar and cause it to widen over time. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment is a good idea - Biocorneum is our choice

Patients after breast augmentation surgery are usually seen right after their procedure for follow up visits so we can monitor closely their recovery. Patients have a lot of questions at that time regarding healing process, their incisions.  Once ready for the scar treatment we recommend biocorneum scar ointment. We carry this at our office as a convenience for the patient and we recommend to use it once the scabs are gone. We use dissolvable stiches so there is no need to remove them
Please check with your surgeon for his recommendation and follow up his instructions.