What would be required in a rhinoplasty to get my nose to look like the photo on the right? (photos)

I'm wondering if it has to be complicated (ergo, more costly) since it looks like the entire nose is being narrowed, or if there are simpler ways to get the same effect. I'm open to other nose shapes, as well. My main concern is reducing width (flare?) of my nostrils.

Rhinoplasty Candidate

A rhinoplasty will address the concerns you have with the width of your nose. Both profile and front view photographs would be helpful to provide you a better evaluation. However, to achieve the desired result you show in the imaged photograph you would need osteotomies performed to thin the nasal bridge, refining of the tip cartilages and alar-plasty to narrow the nostrils. This are common techniques and you should have very attainable results in the hands of a skilled surgeon. See examples of rhinoplasty procedures in the link below and an example in the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty candidate

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish the goals  presented in the after photo. To narrow a wide nose requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones, a tip rhinoplasty to narrow the nasal tip cartilages, and an alar-plasty to narrow wide nostrils. For many before-and-after examples of narrowing a wide nose, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from decreasing the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What is Required to Achieve this Morphed Rhinoplasty Result

A full rhinoplasty will be necessary to achieve the desired result. While we are all concerned about the cost of anything don't just shop price. While the most expensive is not necessarily the best buyer beware; if the surgery is not well done a revision can cost a lot more.

Options for your nose

Hi , Ingeneral a more natural result will be obtained with a full rhinoplasty.  There are other options that may apply to you.. It may be possible to narrow the tip and nostrils without narrowing the nasal bones.. The best procedure for you would be determined at a consultation. Thanks for the question.

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

What you desire is something that can be achieved with a rhinoplasty. Best to be seen in person  to be properly evaluated.

Achieving your dream nose

Thanks for posting your question and the photo. The nose can be narrowed likely in the way you have depicted with rhinoplasty. The procedure would likely take 1.5 hours. The cost varies greatly by surgeon, complexity, and geography. I try to avoid discussing fees over Realself because it sets up expectations for patients based on a single picture, whereas a formal exam is needed to give an accurate assessment of complexity and time. Best of luck from Manhattan.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Nose Refinements

The purpose of a great rhinopalsty is to eliminated the flaws and not make a radical change following a prototype. We do not see your profile view. The modest changes in the front view that you wish to make is all you would benefit from.

You may want to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has passion for rhinoplasty.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

What would be required in a rhinoplasty to get my nose to look like the photo on the right?

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon