How does one achieve the most "natural" look and feel with a BA?

I know there isn't anything "natural" about implants, but I have a few questions. I have been reading stories on this site and Q&A's also. Is it possible to get implants and still have "squishy" breasts that can move, not stay in place like hard rocks. If so, which is better? Under or over the muscle, which type of implant, etc. Currently I am in a 38B and would like to get a fuller shape. Maybe a FULL C cup. Nothing too extreme.

Natural breast movement after breast augmentation

Dear Ahsb,
Natural "breast movement" can be achieved with round smooth silicone gel filled breast implants placed under the muscle.  To create the "squishy" movement that you mention, I have my patients massage the implants after surgery to maintain an open implant pocket for the implants to "flow" around in.  Be sure to consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeon for a full discussion of all of your options.  Good luck!

The bigger the implant the less natural it's going to look. Now we also have the silicone that are anatomically shaped and that can give a more natural shape, and less of the round shape of the traditional implants. over or under muscle doesn't dictate what size implant we can use.  The muscle coverage is helpful in very thin patients and seems to reduce capsular contracture according to some scientific studies. Under the breast tissue is the most natural feel and has a less chance of animation deformity when the pectoralis muscle contracts. In most instances only the top implant is covered by muscle and the reset of the implant ends up under the breast tissue. When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of breast augmentation  and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Thank you for your question.  To achieve a natural look and feel, 

-       choose an implant that fits your breast dimensions and that's not too large-       have the implant placed under the muscle as a dual plane

-       Silicone implants typically has the most natural feel

-       Choose an implant that’s moderate in profile

Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Natural Feeling Breasts

Hello,Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation with smooth, round silicone cohesive gel implants should leave you with soft, "natural-feeling" breasts regardless of placement over or under the muscle. It is important to know that the existing breast tissue you start with will affect the appearance and feel of your breasts. As well, it is expected that the breasts will feel hard and look high/distorted for a time post op- often a few months. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about what your goals are and what you can expect with breast augmentation.All the best

Implants

In general, I prefer placing implants under the muscle and mainly use round smooth implants.  The greater ratio of breast tissue to implant volume is more likely to make them appear more natural.

Natural look and feel to augmented breasts

Many women seek to increase their breast size and fullness, but I haven't met anyone who wants a pair of obvious, hard bowling balls on their chest!  A natural feel and appearance is absolutely achievable with breast augmentation.  The best advice I can give you is to follow the advice of a plastic surgeon you trust who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  No two people are the same so it's best to seek a consultation.  In general, the larger you go, the more obvious it is that you had an augmentation.  Transferred fat and silicone implants tend to feel softer and more like natural breast tissue than saline implants.  The more tissue (either your natural breast tissue, native fat, transplanted fat or your chest muscle) you have covering your implants the less obvious they will be.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

To achieve a natural breast augmentation, I would suggest a moderate profile silicone implant behind the muscle. The volume will depend on your body type and your breast dimensions. Try the implants on to get a visualization. The implant should not be wider than your breast. Good luck!

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. There many shapes, sizes, and textures of breast implants.  If good technique is employed and moderate sized implants are placed, this can result in a natural look and feel of the implants. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Dr Kayser

thank you for your question. This is a desire of most patients who pursue breast augmentation. There are many implants that are available, each offering certain advantages. The concept of natural was maintaining proportion to your figure and so, not using an implant that would violate the natural proportions of your figure would be a first recommendation. There are also pros and cons to placing the implant either below or above the muscle.The most natural breast is going to be achieved with the use of your own body tissue avoiding an implant all together. This concept is called autologous fat transfer and involves the process of removing fat in a technique similar to liposuction and then transferring it throughout the breast tissue as millions of little seeds. This is technique dependents and requires the patient who is willing to understand its limitations as well. However, fat is natural, yours, and once integrated into the breast, has the potential to last a lifetime with a result that is not achieved by any implant currently available.In any case, I would recommend a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in all types of these techniques. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Choosing an Implant

Thanks for your question. Fortunately, breast implants are available in various textures, shapes, and sizes to help reach your ultimate post-operative goals.  By using a silicone gel implant below the muscle you have the best chance for the most natural "feel."  Not to worry, your first few weeks to months after surgery your implants may feel a bit stiff and more stuck into place but this will lessen over time.  Make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to begin your surgical journey.Wishing you all the best,
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon