Can a seroma happen with drains still in? (Photo)

I'm two weeks post opt and still have my drains in due to levels still at 50cc. Can a seroma happen with drains in? My upper abs are a squishy.

Seroma

From the photos, I'm assuming that you had an abdominoplasty or mini abdominoplasty. There may have been some liposuction done to the upper abdomen which could be responsible for the softness that you're describing in that area. It is possible to have a seroma that is sectioned off from the main space that was created when separating the tissue from abdominal wall during the surgery.

Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

TT

Thanks you for your questions and pictures.  The simple answer is yes.  If the drain in is the lower abdomen and part of the upper abdomen has sealed off, a seroma could form  Seek a appt with your PS for evaluation.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Can a seroma happen with drains still in?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your tummy tuck surgery!  It looks as if you will obtain a very nice result.  Drains help, but do not eliminate, the risk of seroma formation and if you have seen a change in your surgical appearance it is best to see your surgeon for an in-person assessment.  In most cases a squishy sensation is simply soft tissue swelling but only an exam can help confirm.  Best wishes. 

Thank you for your question. Seroma can be developed even when drains are in place. Please talk to your PS to evaluate as it is early post op. Good luck

Seroma?

Yes, it is possible that a seroma can develop even with drains in. Contact your plastic surgeon for an in person postop check to make sure that is not the case and to address your concerns.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon