Is liposuction required for my body type? (Photo)

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck and breast lift soon. I am 40 years old. I am 5' 1" and weigh 128 pounds. During my consultation my doctor was vague regarding liposuction. He didn't suggest it and I didn't ask questions. I would like to be better informed before my pre op appointment coming up on the 10th of February. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Liposuction Included with a Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will determine if #liposuction is necessary for your procedure. In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

You may see very nice results from including lipo with your Mommy Makeover

Liposuction isn’t always included as part of a mommy makeover, but can certainly offer beautiful body contouring results in the right candidate. It’s hard for me to tell if lipo would benefit you without a physical exam, but I do recommend asking your surgeon more directly about what he suggests for the best outcome. While a tummy tuck is great for removing excess skin and tightening separated abdominal muscles, liposuction offers a greater level of finesse for contouring the surrounding areas, including the love handles, flanks and upper thighs, as well as the waistline.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Is liposuction required for my body type?

For most patients, liposuction will improve the result.  I would search for the board certified plastic surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results and who performs hundreds of these procedures each year. I would look at patient reviews as well as before and after photos on that surgeon's website.

Liposuction with tummy tuck and breast lift.

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

Your photos suggest that liposuction on the sides is likely to give you an even nicer result.
So definitely ask your surgeon about it at your pre-operative appointment. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck with liposuction

Liposuction to the love handle area is a nice addition to almost every tummy tuck. It is very rare, even in the most slender of patients for me not to do a little liposuction of the area to improve the overall contour and thus result.  Best wishes. 

Lipo with a Tummy Tuck

The tummy tuck is perfect for you. I would include liposuction sculpting of the upper abdomen, flanks, and likely love handles to maximize your results. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

The planned tummy tuck will address your skin laxity. However, if you wish to reduce excess subcutaneous skin above the level of your belly button or around your waist, liposuction will be required. Thank you for sharing your photo and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Minimal liposuction

You mostly have excess skin and minimal subcutaneous fat.  Therefore I agree with your plan for a tummy tuck and breast aug/lift.  Liposuction would minimally improve your body contour.