Incision opening 4 weeks post op. It doesn't hurt, but I'm concerned. Is this normal and will it heal by itself? (Photo)

I had a breast reduction 4 weeks ago. I went from a 36DDD to a 36C. My healing has been great so far, but this week I noticed a small hole right near the T section. It doesn't hurt, but I'm concerned and feel like I should have it checked out. Is this normal and will it heal by itself?

Incision opening 4 weeks post op. It doesn't hurt, but I'm concerned. Is this normal and will it heal by itself?

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. You should be aware however that wound healing problems can occur after breast reduction surgery;  with local wound care,  these wounds generally go on to heal over the course of a few weeks.    Continue to follow with your plastic surgeon who be your best resource when it comes to local wound care. Sometimes, removal of an exposed suture in the wound expedites the healing process.
Best wishes;  despite the wound healing problem, it is most likely that you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Wound healing issues 4 weeks after a breast reduction.

It is not unusual to have some wound healing issues after at 4 weeks after surgery, because it  is the time when dissolvable sutures start loosing the strength. It happens more frequently at the T junction, because it is the area of less blood supply. It usually heals well in few days. However, if you developed redness, feels warm or starts to hurt, consult your plastic surgeon because it may be getting infected and you may need antibiotics. 

T incision healing issue

It is fairly common to have breakdown at the "T" in breast reductions especially in patients with very large breasts. Best of luck.

Open wound after breast reduction

Good question.  It is common to have a delayed open area especially where you are experiencing issues.  The most tension is where the vertical and horizontal incisions meet (the "T").  Bacitracin is good, but an antibiotic ointment named 'Bactroban' is much better.  Consult with your surgeon and just keep an eye on the area.  GOod luck.

This happens at the tension bearing area of the reduction flaps. Best to see your surgeon for follow up care.... 

Incision Opening Up after Breast Reduction

• Occasionally, after a breast reduction in which both horizontal and vertical incisions are used, patients can experience some delayed healing of this area.  Some refer to this area as the "inverted T" junction. 
  • The good news is that with Bacitracin ointment, or something similar to keep this area moist, and time (usually a week or so), this area will heal in on its own!
  • Definitely meet with your plastic surgeon so he/she may take a look, but rest assured that this shouldn't affect your long term result. 
  • Thanks for sharing!