1 week post op and I'm still in a lot of pain. When would this go away?

Breast Augmentation Post-op pain

Pain is so personal - some patients take 1 percocet the night of surgery and don't need anything else, and others take pain medication for a few weeks. It also depends on how large your implants are - I find that patients who choose larger implants have a longer recovery than patients who choose smaller implants. Here are some tips on what helps with pain: 1. Ice - I recommend frozen peas: you can get a large bag from the grocery and put them in smaller snack ziplock bags for easy use. They mold to your breasts and you can slip them in your sports bra. They defrost before they can freeze burn your skin (like ice can) and then you can exchange them. 2. Keep the inflammation down: a sports bra that provides good support can help with swelling which decreases pain. I also give my patients anti-inflammatory medication (Naproxen or Celebrex) to decrease swelling and pain. 3. Relax a little - don't try to do too much or you get exhausted and that makes it harder to mentally deal with the pain - therefore you FEEL more pain. 4. Muscle relaxers - if you still feel terrible, talk to your doctor about using Valium or another muscle relaxer - sometimes it's the muscle spasms that keep you up at night. Best wishes!

The pain should lessen as your body heals and adjusts.

The pain should begin to lessen as you continue to heal. It’s important to remember that you’ve been through a surgery and your body is adjusting to your new breast implants. The recovery process is highly individualized from woman to woman with some experiencing less discomfort and swelling and some experiencing more. You may want to try ice packs, limit your fluid intake and go for easy walks to help reduce swelling and promote healing. Be sure to strictly follow your plastic surgeon’s recommendations as you recover.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Every patient's pain scale if different. I would recommend that you discuss this with your surgeon so he/she can revisit your post operative pain management plan.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

1 week post op and I'm still in a lot of pain? = ask your plastic surgeon for advice #breastaugmentation #breastimplants

Pain after breast augmentation with implants is works the same day after surgery and the first day after surgery. After that, they pain should improve every day until being just a mild discomfort.

Patients with significant pain after 1 week after surgery should consider contacting their plastic surgeon to determine if it is necessary to modify the post-operative pain management regiment. 

John Mesa, MD

Pain and breast augmentation

Each patient is a bit different. How severe the pain is at this point can relate to specific problems that can arise like an infection or a hematoma. If you are at all concerned, speak with your surgeon.