I'm wanting to vaserlipo done on my tummy, hips and butt. I need to know my limitations after surgery?

My husband is in a wheelchair and I am the one who has to get his chair in and out of the car. Wearing the compression garments, will it be a problem if I do that only a couple days after vaserlipo?

Limitations Following Vaser Liposuction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Some studies show that there is less injury to the body with Vaser than with traditional #liposuction. Recovery from Vaser Liposuction is based on the level of soreness and bruising experienced by the patient. But, it can vary among patients. As with traditional liposuction, there are no large incisions  or effect on the muscle and other underlying tissue. Therefore, #healing time may be less than anticipated by most. Therefore, Vaser patients may experience less #pain or discomfort, #swelling (#edema) and bruising post procedure due to the nature of the technique.  

A quicker #recovery for a patient may be two to three weeks without any strenuous activity. This includes the short period of suggested rest of 12-24 hours soon following the procedure. #Exercise and activity are contingent on how the patient feels. Mild activity is not likely to hinder recovery or healing or create problems with recovery.  However, it is recommended to acquire your doctor's permission to do so. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!

Swelling after #Vaser liposuction is not uncommon. Gentle #walking may increase circulation and help to alleviate swelling. But you must not strain or push yourself. Also, if you were provided a post-procedure #garment, be sure you are wearing it until prescribed otherwise by your doctor. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Many patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after procedures, as directed by their doctor; some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

After one to three days, you should be able to return to work. As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. 
If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. 

Can I Limit My Use of Compression Garments So I Can Help Husband with Wheelchair?

The garments would not be the limiting factor in your comfort and mobility, and they are quite necessary for your recovery. They hold fluid in your vascular system, and if you have a lot of lipo and do not have counter pressure from the garments, you can swell up and lose intra-vascular fluid into the liposuctioned areas. That is like becoming dehydrated and you could feel weak, get dizzy or even faint.  
 It is better to take a mild pain medication, like ibuprofen and be careful in your movements, but not to remove the garments.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Recovery afte Vaser Lipo

I would advised you to plant a little longer time for your recovery -2 weeks on average and even after that you will need to be careful with building your physical strength. Looking after your husband will be too challenging if you not well yourself.

I our clinic we did study looking at 120 cases of our patients ans saw that on average it takes 14-16 days for bruising, swelling to subside. 

I think that you will likely need someone else to help during your recovery, as the strenuous nature of being the caregiver is too much for the first 3 to 4 weeks.

Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent. Find a plastic surgeon with elite credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.