I want lip implants but my lips are naturally very thin - will this affect how big I can go with implants?

I read that permalip comes in 3 sizes. I would like to go for the large as I read that it can take time for swelling to go down. I don't necessarily want a natural look. I want them to look as though they are considerably fuller.

The Permalip Pout!

This questions comes up a lot with my patients and you are very correct the Permalip Lip Implants have three sizes 3mm (small) 4mm (medium) or 5mm (large), most of my patients will opt for medium or large (typically large in the top lip and medium in the bottom - the bottom lip being naturally bigger than the top).

Under local anaesthetic the lip will be numbed with with a quick dental injection for your comfort. Once anaesthetised, two small incisions are made just inside the corners of the mouth where it can not be seen. A small tunnel is made under the skin of the lip where the soft silicone Permalip implant is passed through. Once in place the incisions inside the mouth are closed with absorbable sutures. The procedure takes approximately just 20 to 30 minutes. The tiny incisions heal quickly and are invisible from the outside of your mouth.

There will be some swelling for a few days but it subsides quickly to leave a natural fuller looking lip that doesn't need topping up after just a few short months. The Permalip lip implant often gives a more naturally looking fuller lip compared with lip fillers which can sometimes push the lip forward.

Your plastic surgeon will arrange follow up with you in about a week to check your results and healing. Both upper and lower lips can be augmented permanently.  Before having the surgeon please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  Without seeing you the person a surgeon cannot advice on what size implant would be suitable.  I hope you achieve the fuller pout you have longed for. All the Best 

Great question.  Your right, not all lips will look good by just placing an implant in them.  Your surgeon should be able to evaluate your lips to see if you are a candidate.  Sometimes your lips will need to be enlarged with additional surgical procedures such as a sub nasal lift or by removing the skin around your lips and making your red lips larger.  These surgical procedures can be done before or after the implants are placed.  I would be cautious if doing an implant along with a surgical procedure because too much swelling may occur and compromise your healing.  Good luck, a great set of "pouty" lips are very attractive and youthful!!

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon