I want fraxel to remove pigmentation & acne scars. What's the recovery time?

I want to get fraxelling down. Will I need to take time off work though? Will my face be noticeable inflammed etc after the procedure causing me to take time off work?

Fraxel Dual Treatment

If you wanted to improve both your pigmentation and acne scars I would recommend the Fraxel Dual.

Immediately after treatment you may have some redness and swelling that can last a day or two. The sensation post procedure is similar to the heat from a sunburn. The skin also gets dry and rough similar to sand paper and the skin can appear darker as it is going through this process.

The dry rough skin will flake off, usually about 3-5 day post procedure. During this time you can continue your daily activities and apply make-up if you would like. Many of my patients come in on a Friday and are back at work by Monday. Fraxel is the most popular laser in my office.

It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what treatment is appropriate for your skin type.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Dual and Recovery Time

Fraxel Dual treats acne scars extremely well on the 1550 wavelength.  The Fraxel will typically take 2 to 3 days to subside from the redness and any swelling from acne scar treatments.  Most patients tend to do the procedure at the end of the week and have the weekend to recover to be able to go back to work.  For the best results please find a board certified dermatolgist who has experience with Fraxel laser.

Post-Fraxel Recovery

Depending on which fraxel treatment you receive, the recovery periods can vary.  In my office, we use Fraxel Dual, which has a quick recovery time where you are slightly pink (as if you've been out at the beach) for 3-5 days, on average.  Most people do not need to take time off of work, especially if they get the treatment on a Friday.  The results speak for themselves!  Please consult with a board certified specialist in the face who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as a communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD