I want to make my nose more attractive but what procedure is best for me? Rhinoplasty, septumplasty, or non-surgical? (Photos)

I have read about septumplasty. I am a mouth breather and snore. Is this something I should consider? I live in South Dakota and would like to find a doctor close to home if possible.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Best Nasal Procedure

Snoring and mouth breathing can be caused by a deviated nasal septum which can be straightened with a septoplasty. If you want to reduce the size of your nose, I would recommend a septorhinoplasty, a combination of septoplasty and rhinoplasty. This will address both functional and cosmetic concerns you may have. A non-surgical procedure will not reduce the size of the nose or correct snoring. However, keep in mind that snoring can also be caused by other nasal issues as well. Based on what you told us, you may need to do a little bit of investigating on your own first. I recommend consulting with a facial plastic surgeon for a detailed examination. Best of luck

Rhinoplasty with Septoplasty can be done together

If you have a deviated septum, we can combine refining your nose with rhinoplasty and correcting the breathing issue with septoplasty.  Seek Board Certified surgeons.  Be well!

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Functional septoplasty breathing, rhinoplasty for cosmetic purposes

A  septoplasty is performed for functional reasons to improve airflow through the nose and does not change the shape of the nose. A septoplasty involves removal of twisted bone and cartilage in the back of the nose that is blocking airflow. A cosmetic rhinoplasty accomplishes reduction of the bulbous tip, shaving down the dorsal hump, decreasing projection of the nose, and refining the bridgeline. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

I want to make my nose more attractive but what procedure is best for me? Rhinoplasty, septoplasty, or non-surgical?

Hello Cherri777 - Thanks for your question.  It looks like you have what is known as a bulbous tip.  This can be improved nicely using a procedure known as tip rhinoplasty.  A tip rhinoplasty is quite affordable and in my practice is performed in the office under local anesthesia.  As far as your nasal breathing issues are concerned, I would recommend that you work with your regular doctor to medically manage these problems, and if necessary, consult an ENT to evaluate your airway.  Depending on what is found, you may need septoplasty and/or turbinate surgery to unblock your nose if it is blocked by abnormal anatomy.  I perform these procedures routinely and they can be done at the same time as a tip surgery but are best done while you are asleep under general anesthesia. I have patients from as far north as Calgary coming for rhinoplasty surgery, and I would be have to help you.  If you have further questions, you may contact my private practice to Skype/Facetime with me.  Good luck. Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

The appearance of your nose and functional aspect can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty and pssible septoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile. A "non-surgical" procedure will not achieve an improvement in a patient with your anatomy.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you can locate through the "Smart Beauty Guide" of ASAPS or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue. 
Robert Singer, MD FACS 
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thanks for the question. mouth breathing and snoring can sometimes be helped by improving your nasal airway. This can be done by septoplasty or septorhinoplasty depending on the exact cause of blockage which can only be determined by full nasal exam. If you are going to go through a rhinoplasty, consider improving the appearance as well at the same time as it is much harder to do later. Making your tip and your nostrils narrower will make you nose look more refined. Search for a surgeon that does rhinoplasty and is board certified facial plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon