Immediate swelling after Restylane for tear troughs. Any suggestions? (photos)

Immediately after injection one eye had a huge lump under it. Today is the second day and it got worse plus I have a purple bruise now. I sent my pics to the injector and I was told there was nothing to worry about. She is really experienced and I trust her. But my eyes are extremely swollen so even my vision is obstructed, because I can see the swelling when I look down. Is it normal? I think that I was overfilled. She used 1.5 ml of restylane for both eyes in total.

Immediate swelling after Restylane for tear troughs. Any suggestions?

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. For now, limited ice and head elevation may help. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear trough and filler

you may have been overcorrected but it is too early to tell and restylane always pulls in water as that is why it ends up so smooth so give it at least 10 days and apply warm compresses and GENTLE massage

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Lump after fillers

If you have a lump after filler injections, it may represent filler material or a bruise.  Best to ask your injector.

Tear trough options

The tear trough is certainly an area that can hold swelling longer, and bruising will prolong this further. Using  a thin microcannula to place the filler usually avoids traumatizing a vessel under the eye, but this is an advanced technique and not all injectors do it. So, what can you do now?

Keep the head elevated as much as possible even when sleeping if you can

Continue to ice

Take Arnica tablets and Bromelain tablets orally to speed resolution of swelling and bruising. Follow directions on packaging.

Try taking an antihistamine such as zyrtec, claritin, benadryl

Return to your injector in 2 to 4 weeks to reevaluate the volume situation. 

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician