I was born with an ear lobe deformity - how do I fix it to match my other ear? (photos)

I was born with an ear lobe deformity as seen in the pictures I've attached. My parents did not choose to do anything to help it when I was younger--nor did any doctors reccomend a treatment for it. I am now at the age where I can make medical decisions for myself and would like to have it match my other ear. What can be done to fix this? Would this be an incredibly invasive procedure?

Doctor Answers 11

Depending on your examination, the nodule in front of your left ear lobe may be removed.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Is that small nodule firm like cartilage? It is conceivable that this piece of extra tissue could be removed with a favorable scar location. Consider consulting with several reputable facial plastic surgeons so you could see what might be best for you.Hope this helps.Dr Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 429 reviews

Ear repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
An advancement of the lobe may be reasonable to attach where that small remnant is located.  It is best to be seen in person to determine how malleable the tissues are.  Best of luck.

Ear lobe deformity

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From just looking at the pictures, this would be a pretty easy thing to fix.  Of course, without a full physical exam (being able to feel it and look in and behind the ear) I cannot tell you anything for certain, but I think it could be fixed with just some numbing medicine to the area in the office.  A few stitches and trying not sleep on that side would be all you'd need for recovery. 
Best of luckDr Rodman

Ear lobe Repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question!  It is hard to say without seeing you in person, but this seems like the repair for symmetry could be an easy, in office procedure.  Be sure to consult with an experienced surgeon for an expert opinion!  Best of luck!

How Do I Fix My Earlobe Deformity?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for this interesting and very challenging question.  
The way you fix an earlobe deformity is by finding an exceedingly well trained Board Certified plastic surgeon experienced in congenital ear deformities.  I would start by Googling Massachusetts plastic surgeon/congenital ear deformity or by calling the Departments of Plastic Surgery at some of the world famous Boston hospitals and asking the staff which one of their plastic surgeons has the greatest experience in ear and earlobe reconstruction.
While I agree with many of your other RealSelf experts that the technical skills for cutting and sewing your left earlobe to become more like your right is relatively simple, the diagnosis of your earlobe deformity and the various techniques available to correct it are quite complex and require a master artist and surgeon.
If you were my patient, I might consider a reverse helical slide with connection of the proximal remnant to the advancing helical rim and a tongue and groove final closure.  
However, if you were my sister, I would recommend you call Dr. Burt Brent of Woodside, California and ask him which one of his ear reconstructive protegees is in your neck of the woods.  

Repair asymmetric ear lobe

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for asking about your congenital ear lobe anomaly.
  • Your photos are helpful and suggest that a minor office procedure may be all you need to get improvement.
  • The result will not match the other side but should look normal
  • (No one has perfectly matching ear lobes.)
  • Boston is full of excellent plastic surgeons -
  • Find a plastic surgeon specializing in cosmetic plastic surgery and arrange a consultation.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Earlobe fix

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is most likely an accessory tragus and could be shaved off in a matter of minutes.  There are certainly multiple methods to correct this and we are at a disadvantage with only photos and not a clinical exam.  However, this would be a simple correction.

Joshua E. Lane, MD, MBA
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

I was born with an ear lobe deformity - how do I fix it to match my other ear?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good Afternoon Thank you for your question.  This looks as though it can be repaired with a minor procedure with local anesthetic to make it look more like your right ear.  Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to have a proper physical assessment and the best outcome.Best of Luck, Dr. K.

Accessory auricle

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have a small accessory ear or a split earlobe congenital deformity. It is relatively easy to fix as an office procedure under local anesthesia. RegardsDr. J

Ear repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
With a proper consultation first, a simple surgical procedure could increase the aesthetics of the lobe. You would have some sutures for about a week, but it would be a minimally invasive in office procedure at my practice. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.