My top upper middle lip keeps swelling after an injury I suffered 7 years ago, is there anything that can be done to reduce this

Around 7 years ago I had an accident playing football where my top lip was hit quite hard which caused it to get cut on my top teeth. I keep waking up to a "fat" lip in the middle part of my upper lip. Gradually throughout the day this can ease of and not look so bad, however if I am sitting down and my head is not sort of elevated it becomes fatty. I've noticed if I elevate my head it sort of drains and looks near enough normal but I can't sit down for prolonged periods or look down.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your upper lip difficulties. Without a full series of photographs or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite advice so I would recommend consulting with an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon. They can make the diagnosis as to the cause of your swelling episodes and offer treatment advice.  Best wishes.

Lip swelling 7 years after injury

Thank you for asking about your lip injury and swelling.

You may have scar or stretched tissue where you were injured that is causing the swelling. If so, surgery may remove the damaged tissue and reduce or stop the swelling. Be sure to see a plastic surgeon - no other specialty is likely to have the expertise to help you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Please post pictures as a follow-up to your post. It would be best for you to consult in-person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. The consultation will allow the board certified facial plastic surgeon to examine your lips and the potential build-up of scar tissue.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prolonged Lip Swelling After Accident -- Try Lasers, Surgical Repair

Without a picture it is difficult to determine. You may have scar tissue that is causing the swelling. This can be improved with lasers or a surgical repair. I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Recurrent lip swelling after trauma

I would have a full evaluation by a Plastic Surgeon. It is possible that scar tissue can be removed to improve this problem. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD