Based upon those numbers can you tell if that implant is a high or moderate profile implant?

My doctor did not clarify high or moderate profile as I chose my implant. I chose Mentor 355cc anatomic gel implant. I believe the implant meaaures: 12 cm in width and 4.6 cm in projection.  I do recall them writing down the letters "MM" if that means anything...

Implant Profile

Thank you for your questions. The style and size of the implant you like best should fit your chest measurements to give a natural look. Hopefully you tried on many shapes and sizes in the Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office. The most important thing to achieving a great result is that you can discuss this with the surgeon. I would encourage you to call the office or make an appointment to discuss how this implant will fit you and see pictures of lots of patients similar to yourself so you understand the result you can expect. Best Wishes.

Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Mentor 355 cc

We use Mentor Implants here at my office and based on the catalogue that I am looking at, you have the "MM Profile, Medium Height/Moderate Projection" in a 355 cc Implant. This particular one is part of their "Mentor Memory Shape" Implant Collection. I hope this helps

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best implant you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants:

A Mentor implant with 355 cc and MM designation is most likely a Moderate Height and Moderate Projection shaped implant. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Call your doctor

Call your doctor and ask them directly, you should be able to ask any questions you have,  before surgery or after. If you are having problems to contact your doctor or office personal, you should see as a sign.
Be sure your surgeon is a member of the ASPS and the ASAPS, that will assure of the proper training and experience.
The most important factor in obtaining a good result from your cosmetic surgery is the surgeon you elect to perform it.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Moderate projection implants

If your implants have "MM" on their label, they are probably Allergan implants, not Mentor.  These would then be moderate height, moderate projection implants, anatomic shape and cohesive gel implants.  I personally consider the Mentor anatomic and the Allergan anatomic very comparable implants.  There are subtle differences that are up for discussion as to whether they make much difference.

Richard R. Orr, MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Hi laceyjo620,

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately I do not see a Mentor anatomic implant that fits the numbers you have given.  There is a moderate projecting device at 355cc, but the base width is 13cm.  I will say that an anatomic implant in the 350cc range with a projection of 4.6cm is likely a moderate profile device.

I have attached a link to the Mentor catalogue (see page 9) for you to review.  Good luck!

Hunter Moyer, MD

What profile is my implant?

Thank you for the question.  Some clarification here is required regarding the Mentor classifications.  Although this should address your question, it may seem confusing and quite honestly, it's probably more information than is necessary but here goes!

The traditional round implants come in 4 profiles: moderate classic, moderate plus, high, and ultra high.  Those are fairly straightforward.

The shaped implants are classified a little differently.  Whereas round implants have the same height and width, the shaped implants have different heights for a given width. There are 5 classes of shaped implants that are unique combinations of height and projection. They are classified with two letters.  The first letter designates the height (T=tall, M=medium, and L=low) whereas the second letter designates the projection (M=moderate, M+=moderate plus, and H=high).  In the "tall" height, there is a moderate plus projection (TM+).  In the "medium" height there are  moderate (MM), moderate plus (MM+), and high projection options (MH).  In the "short" height, there is moderate plus projection (LM+).  As you can see, this is not always straight forward so do not let yourself get too wrapped up in the nuances.  Trust in your surgeon to pick the right implant based on your anatomy and goals.  Based on what you provided, there is no shaped mentor implant with a 355cc volume and 12cm base width.  However there is a 355cc volume with a 13cm base width that is an MM implant ("medium" height and "moderate" projection). 

Hope I didn't confuse you!  Best of luck with your surgery!

Which profile of implant?

For the Mentor shaped implant, the MM means moderate height and moderate projection. There is also an F, or full projection and height. Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your surgery. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS