How many years of experience is it good for a mini facelift?

Hi, I mean how do I know if a doctor has good skills. I had a consultation with a relative young Dr and I am considering him for my mini facelift. Thank you.

Plastic surgeon experience

Thank you for your excellent question. I would say the most important thing is to feel comfortable with your surgeon during the visit. Credentials are important, and so are viewing the before and after photographs of your surgeon's work. But, you need to feel that bond during the consultation (and even with the supporting staff) in order build trust.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. If you have found that, then stick with your surgeon.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Your gut feeling with your doc is very important.

I you feel good about your doc's consultation and what he said and what you want seems to be similar and he has good photos and cert. op room etc.... then go with him/her since they will be there for several months helping you threw the whole recovery.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Choosing the right facelift surgeon

Thanks for sharing.  Experience and the inherent skill and artistic eye of the surgeon all matter.  Ideally your board certified surgeon has all of these.  It is ideal for a surgeon to have perform hundreds if not thousands of the procedures you are doing.  That said  a younger, well trained board certified surgeon who has performed 100's may have better skills and an eye than someone who is older and only performs the procedure once in awhile. The younger surgeon may be less expensive as well.  Credentials such as board certification and hospital privileges are important and also look at patient photos, testimonials, and even speak to a few patients.  This will help you down the path of choosing the best surgeon for you. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  On average 5 to 7 years is about the learning curve for plastic and cosmetic surgery procedures if the surgeon has enough cases during that time to acquire the desired skills.  The aesthetic part, of performing plastic and cosmetic surgery comes and evolves over a much longer time frame.Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.  If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed. My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. Hope this helps.

Finding the right surgeon

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a facelift.

Age for a Facelift Surgeon

There are many things to consider when you contemplate a facelift. Age of the surgeon is only one of them. To be truly good with facelifting requires knowledge of the normal as well as the aging anatomy, an aesthetic eye, a superior surgical skill and significant experience with how tissues respond to different maneuvers. You also must understand the procedures done. A "mini facelift" can be a minimal procedure that accomplishes little to a procedure that actually accomplishes a great deal but with less down time. Most, however, are a great disappointment to most of the people who have them. You, therefore, need to look at all these things, the board certification of the surgeon, whether the facility where the procedure will be is accredited (it should be), whether facelifting is a main part of the practice, how many have been done and examples of the procedure by the surgeon. (See

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

I am not sure age is a major factor in choosing your surgeon.There are many important issues to consider in a face lift.Good analysis of the face and the aging process, Planning the appropriate approach and customize the facelift to the needs of the individual.