Is it true that coolsculpting doesn't work on people who had lipo in the past?

I had lipo in my abdomen more or less 15 years ago. I gained weight three years ago and noticed the fat in my abdomen was back again. Thinking cool sculpting will help, I had procedure almost 4 months ago. No improvement whatsoever.

CoolSculpting Fine After Liposuction

A previous liposuction procedure won't affect the results of a subsequent CoolSculpting treatment. CoolSculpting is a nonsurgical fat reduction procedure designed to tone areas where fat tends to accumulate, such as "love handles," the thighs, and the neck. But to be clear, CoolSculpting is for the reduction of minor fat pockets; it won't provide the same type of results as liposuction. It's also unclear from your question whether you had more than one CoolSculpting treatment session. Many patients need at least 2 treatments, scheduled a month or more apart, to get the results they want. 

Cool Sculpting After Liposuction

Dear Vayla, Having had liposuction in the past doesn't have an effect on your current candidacy for cool sculpting. You could re-evaluation with your cool sculpting physician and see what they say. It can often take several treatments to reach desired results. Without a picture I can't give you an opinion on wether I think you were a candidate or not, but sorry you're disappointed. Being that it's noninvasive it's not a 100% satisfactory rate but most are happy. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting after Liposuction

I am sorry to hear you are not having any improvement. Coolsculpting can definitely work on patients who had liposuction in the past. Coolsculpting is effective as long as there is pinchable fat. I am not sure why this procedure did not work for you. I advise you to have re-evaluation with your treating physician.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

CoolSculpting after liposuction

CoolSculpting can be effectively used on patients who have had liposuction.  CoolSculpting works best to contour "problem areas" of excess tissue.  With one 35 minute session, patients can experience a 20-25% reduction in fat.  I would suggest making sure your provider takes before and after pictures, so you can appreciate your results and discuss your expectations.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Does CoolSculpting Work if You've had Liposuction in the Past?

Short answer....Yes. Coolsculpting, like liposuction, works best for people with fat resistant to diet and exercise but are in good shape and whose weight is stable. Not sure why it did not work for you. Was your weight stable? Did you continue you exercise regimen? If those aren't the reasons, best option is to discuss further with the doctor who did the procedure. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

CoolSculpting after Liposuction

I'm sorry to hear you had no improvement.  CoolSculpting can absolutely work for people who have had liposucution in the past.  As long as there is pinchable fat, CoolSculpting is an effective, non-surgical alternative to liposuction.  With the new CoolAdvantage treatment applicator, even less "pinchable" tissue is needed. Both CoolSculpting and liposuction, can only treat the fat that is beneath the skin called subcutaneous fat.  If your weight gain is due to fat deposited around your internal organs,called visceral fat, then neither liposuction nor CoolSculpting will be of benefit. Best of luck!

Tina B. West, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting after Liposuction

As long as there is pinchable, subcutaneous fat, CoolSculpting does work.  It is best to do before and after photos to see the results.  If you are looking for more dramatic results you may need multiple treatments to get the desired effect. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

CoolSculpting after having Liposuction

CoolSculpting does work with patients that already had liposuction. It's best to follow up with the provider that treated you. Take after photos and compare with the before and get re-evaluated to see if you are a candidate for more. CoolSculpting does not have a dramatic result like liposuction because only 20-25% of the fat cells are eliminated with each treatment. 

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting, SculpSure, Vanquish for Fat Reducing / Sculptra for Facial Sculpting Collagen Building

Coolsculpting works where there is fat, it is proven to be effective. I find it works better with RF treatments like vanquish/exilis.  Best, Dr. Emer.