Is it true that coolsculpting doesn't work on people who had lipo in the past?

I had lipo in my abdomen more or less 15 years ago. I gained weight three years ago and noticed the fat in my abdomen was back again. Thinking cool sculpting will help, I had procedure almost 4 months ago. No improvement whatsoever.

CoolSculpting after Liposuction

I am sorry to hear you are not having any improvement. Coolsculpting can definitely work on patients who had liposuction in the past. Coolsculpting is effective as long as there is pinchable fat. I am not sure why this procedure did not work for you. I advise you to have re-evaluation with your treating physician.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

CoolSculpting after liposuction

CoolSculpting can be effectively used on patients who have had liposuction.  CoolSculpting works best to contour "problem areas" of excess tissue.  With one 35 minute session, patients can experience a 20-25% reduction in fat.  I would suggest making sure your provider takes before and after pictures, so you can appreciate your results and discuss your expectations.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Does CoolSculpting Work if You've had Liposuction in the Past?

Short answer....Yes. Coolsculpting, like liposuction, works best for people with fat resistant to diet and exercise but are in good shape and whose weight is stable. Not sure why it did not work for you. Was your weight stable? Did you continue you exercise regimen? If those aren't the reasons, best option is to discuss further with the doctor who did the procedure. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

CoolSculpting after Liposuction

I'm sorry to hear you had no improvement.  CoolSculpting can absolutely work for people who have had liposucution in the past.  As long as there is pinchable fat, CoolSculpting is an effective, non-surgical alternative to liposuction.  With the new CoolAdvantage treatment applicator, even less "pinchable" tissue is needed. Both CoolSculpting and liposuction, can only treat the fat that is beneath the skin called subcutaneous fat.  If your weight gain is due to fat deposited around your internal organs,called visceral fat, then neither liposuction nor CoolSculpting will be of benefit. Best of luck!

Tina B. West, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting after Liposuction

As long as there is pinchable, subcutaneous fat, CoolSculpting does work.  It is best to do before and after photos to see the results.  If you are looking for more dramatic results you may need multiple treatments to get the desired effect. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

CoolSculpting after having Liposuction

CoolSculpting does work with patients that already had liposuction. It's best to follow up with the provider that treated you. Take after photos and compare with the before and get re-evaluated to see if you are a candidate for more. CoolSculpting does not have a dramatic result like liposuction because only 20-25% of the fat cells are eliminated with each treatment. 

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting, SculpSure, Vanquish for Fat Reducing / Sculptra for Facial Sculpting Collagen Building

Coolsculpting works where there is fat, it is proven to be effective. I find it works better with RF treatments like vanquish/exilis.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting after liposuction

If you have fat in your abdomen that you can pinch, even after liposuction, Coolsculpting should work. Most patients need two treatments to an area to get an impressive result. I recommend you see your provider so you can discuss your concerns.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting after lipo

Thank you for your question. Coolsculpting should work fine as long as you had enough laxity for your tissue to get sucked into the coolsculpting applicator. You should voice your concerns with the coolsculpting provider you used. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD