Downsizing Breast augmentation to smaller, how much smaller to notice a difference?

I currently have 400 cc making me a 34 DD with a small frame, my chest is too big and looks unnatural. I am considering downsizing too 300 cc or even smaller and am wondering if reducing the size by 100 cc will be enough to notice the smaller size and have a more natural look? Does the smaller size mean the farther apart the breasts will be and could that also need to an unnatural look?

Downsizing breast augmentation to smaller, how much smaller to notice a difference?

In most cases, a patient will notice a difference in reducing implant sizes from 400 cc to 300 cc.   If you are concerned that the space between the implants may be too great, ask your surgeon if a lower profile implant may be an option.  The low profile implant will have less projection than a moderate or high profile implant, but it will also be wider (decreasing the space between the implants).  Also, ask to see the various implants side by side.  This should help you make an informed decision.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Great questions, you are obviously giving this good consideration. At your current 400cc you would need to go down 75-100ccs at least if you want to feel a real difference. then your surgeon has to help you decide on profile and width to keep you current width or reduce it. If you reduce the width of the implants significantly you may need to close off the pocket at the side (a capsulorrhaphy) to keep the implants from falling towards your armpits. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Revision

If you are unhappy with the size, consider reducing them by more than 100 cc's.  A 100 cc reduction will not make a lot of difference.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Downsizing Breast Augmentation. How Much to Remove to Notice a Difference? Currently 400 cc

I think removing 25-30 % makes a substantial difference and will probably achieve your goals.  Another approach would be to determine what would be an optimal size for you to give you side to side roundness without excessive upper pole fullness, just as we would do before you had your augmentation. This is a system of objective measurements designed by Dr. Tebbets, called the High Five System.  We measure the base width, nipple to fold distance, amount of pre-existing breast tissue, skin stretch, and find the appropriate sized implant based on that. If you have a small frame, a breast width of 12.5 -13.5, and taking all that into consideration, a 300 cc implant might be just fine for you, and usually results in a C cup, depending on your pre-existing breast volume.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Downsize?

Decreasing to 300cc would definitely make a noticeable difference.  The key would be to change implant profiles to keep the width of the implant close to what you have now.  Less volume but still a nice shape.  If you keep the same profile in the smaller size then there is a chance of appearing to have a narrower breast with more space between them.  I hope this helps.

Yes, you should be able to undergo downsizing of breast implants. How much should downsize will depend on your body type and personal goals.  There are no absolute rules that online consultants can sure be specific enough to be truly helpful.
 Keep in mind as you are thinking about your goals that sometimes adjustment of the breast implant pockets (capsule adjustments) may be necessary to achieve the outcome you are looking for. Breast lifting may or may not necessary.  Much will be dependent on your physical examination;  specifically, factors such as the amount of redundant skin and  quality of skin elasticity will be important.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary (downsizing) breast augmentation surgery is: 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "down a cup size” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary, specifically downsizing, breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Downsizing your breast implants

I generally tell my patients who are similar to you that a change of no less than 100cc will be needed to notice a significant difference.  That said, every patient is different and with your body description, you are much more likely to get a helpful recommendation with an in-person visit to a Board Certified plastic surgeon who is familiar with this type of aesthetic.  If you are a DD cup than in all likelihood a smaller breast mound will appear more natural.Best wishes, Dr. L

Smaller breasts

In general if you are wanting to make a size difference you will want to go down a good 100 to 150cc depending on the look you wish to achieve.  I would need to examine you to determine how far apart the breasts would be after this.  You might need a lift and pocket tightening after this as well. Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Downsizing can lead to issues

you have raised but a 100 cc difference should be noticeable.  Look at sizers side by side and try to make the best choice for yourself.  If saline implants, have your surgeon pop them and the resize for the most accurate choice.  If gel, you can only arbitrarily choose a smaller size.  And its possible some tightening of the lower pole will be needed.

Curtis Wong, MD

Changing Size

Hello,My rule of thumb is at least 20% change in order to see a difference. Going to 300 will be noticeable but a small difference. 275 will be a 30% difference and more noticeable. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS