Four weeks post op. Is it normal to still have pain and tightness after tummy tuck?

Post op pain and tightness normal

Yes, it is completely normal to be experiencing some post op pain and tightness in the abdominal area at 1 month post op. It can take up to 6 months for the swelling to subside. Your issues should improve in time. It they don't or the pain gets worse then schedule an appointment to see your surgeon but what you are describing sounds normal.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

4 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck Discomfort

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon for tissues to be slightly tender still, for sensation loss and a feeling of tightness to persist at 1 month post op.  Residual abdominal swelling can last as long as 4 months. Once patients are cleared to become more physically active, sometimes discomfort will return temporarily. You should experience your pain improving daily. If you note any concerning changes, let your Plastic Surgeon know so that they can assess you.

All the best

Pain four weeks after Tummy Tuck

Thank you for a great question.  Tummy Tuck procedure is a big operation that usually involves tightening the muscles of the abdomen.  It is very common for patients to experience pain and tightness from the muscles as they are healing.  I tell my patients that they can experience swelling, tightness, spasms and achiness for up to 12 weeks.  Check with your plastic surgeon and see what medications or suggestions he has for you to manage your discomfort.  Good Luck.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Post op tummy tuck

Pain and tightness 4 weeks post tummy tuck is absolutely normal.  I fell like it takes 3-4 mo for the tightness to go away if a good muscle repair is done.  I promise it is worth it. Good luck, Jane

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your tummy tuck.  Though each patient heals differently after surgery it is certainly reasonable to still have pain and tightness four weeks after a tummy tuck, especially if you had a muscle repair/tightening procedure performed.  You should have seen steady and continued improvement in your discomfort over the last four weeks but if your pain is worsening, best to see your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  Best wishes.