3 weeks post op scar. Will it flatten out? (Photo)

I'm 3 weeks post op full anchor Breast Lift. The raised scar showed up within days after surgery. So ishe there a chance it will flatten out by itself? What can I do to help it? Why did it do this...what happened?.

Breast scar Revision

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size. I sometimes add fat grafting to the upper pole to give more cleavage if needed or wanted.

Wait 12 months prior to any scar revision. 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Heaped up incision

can occur with certain closure techniques and it should flatten with time.  If it doesn't your surgeon should be able to help you achieve a smoother outcome once you are healed.

Curtis Wong, MD

Scar ar 3 weeks Post-Op, Will It Flatten

Over time, gravity will continue to have an effect and the breast skin will tend to stretch. The degree of #stretching and #sagging varies between women: generally, women with smaller breasts experience less recurring sagging. If sagging does occur, further excision of the skin on an outpatient basis can be used to correct the problem. Heavy and large breasts may lead to recurrent sagging and may require the removal of a small amount of breast tissue to achieve an optimal shape and size. One key to a satisfying result is realistic expectations.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

Scars

Your scars will continue to improve with time and you should keep in contact with your PS who can run you through how to help improve the scars with massage etc. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Scars after a breast lift

Everybody scars differently. Prevention of ugly scars can be started almost immediately postoperatively with taping of the incisions. When the incisions are fully closed, a silicone-based product like BioCorneum can be applied to minimize scarring. This is a gel product applied to the incision for about 3 to 6 months on a twice daily basis. Ask your plastic surgeon about their preference before choosing a product at the local pharmacy.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips.

Scar Management tips:
  1. Minimize tension on the scar. Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.
  2. Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. Never apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection, contact your surgeon’s office right away and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.
  3. Protect your scars from the sun. Staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.
  4. Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best. The best product available in my opinion is the Embrace Scar Therapy System by Neodyne BioSciences, Inc. available in many surgeons’ offices. Essentially this is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar. For areas that are not applicable for this product (e.g. smaller areas or on the face), I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen, etc).. If the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.
  5. Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected.  Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of  injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments  to treat or  prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

3 weeks post op scar. Will it flatten out?

Scars will, more often than not,  improve with time.  You are early post op and your surgeon knows better that anyone else how they closed your incisions.  Sometimes deep sutures are placed to evert or pucker out the closure to avoid tension on your scar.  Close followup with your Plastic Surgeon will serve to reassure you of your choice of surgeon and anticipated final result. Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Scarring

Thank you for the photo and question and there are treatments and creams for scars that are FDA approved and may help so see your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD