Breast augmentation; how big can I enhance my breasts? (photos)

Hi im 35 1 child, 5"6 137lbs I wear a size 34d bra from Victoria secret I wanted to know how big to go to enhance my breast ,I don't want ti look silky

How big can you enhance your breasts?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Implant size

You need to match your upper implant size to a your measured dimensions. If you push too much above that you risk more problems in the short and long term which may be costly to fix

Breast augmentation; how big can I enhance my breasts?

The best way to decide on size is your base width measurement. Check out any doctor that does the "high five", which are the five most important measurements. It was published and presented in many meetings and in the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal. The important thing to always keep in mind is "big implants mean big problems", so you need to go to the size that is appropriate for your own measurements and not from pictures or from other people.

Mahmood Kara, MD

Try sizers first

The first thing you should do is to try on sizers at your surgeon’s office. Try on larger ones to see how you’ll look, as only you can determine whether the result will look “silly”. Consider if the size of your implants will interfere with your lifestyle, daily activities, and other factors. Once you choose a size, discuss with your surgeon to see if it’s possible. Your body can only handle so much before the risk of complications makes your surgery unsafe. 

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Choosing a surgeon, choosing an implant, getting the best results

The best way to determine the size that fits your personal perception of the perfect breast is to try on sizers. This way you can see how they fit on you, how they add to your current volume, and whether they fit your frame. Although the surgeon can guide you, only you will be able to tell what is the right size. Try on sizers.   HP implants, which are a more modern shape than moderate profile implants, fit most women better. They have a more appropriate base diameter for the average women's chest.  Mentor HP profile saline implants have base diameters that range from 8.8 cm (very narrow) to 13.8 cm (moderately wide).  The majority of women in my practice have base diameters in the 11 to 13 cm range.  The HP implants fit them well.  The moderate implants have much wider base diameters for the same volume (often in the 14 to 15.6 cm range).  These implants are too wide for most women that I treat.  So when the base diameter is measured and correlated with the diameter of the implant, it is most often necessary to use HP implants to achieve the volume the patient is requesting.  At the volume selected, my patient's base diameters are too small for moderate profile implants. Measuring a diameter and then telling the patient what volume they can have (in high, moderate or moderate plus implants) in my mind is backwards.  The patients should be allowed to choose the volume.  Then the surgeon carefully considers the base diameter, projection, profile, manufacturer, and fill material that will achieve the patients goals of size as well as qualitative look (natural, intermediate, or bold upper pole fullness or projection), all the while taking into consideration the patient's anatomic features that will affect the outcome. HP implants can be made to look very natural or very augmented, depending on where in the range the implants are filled to achieve a particular volume. At the low end of the fill range, HP implants do not have the upper pole fullness that most people associate with the fake look. On the other hand, a fake over-augmented look can be created with a moderate profile implant if it is overfilled (a common practice for surgeons that commonly use moderate profile implants). In addition, too wide an implant will put the volume past the anterior axillary fold, which in my opinion, looks more fake than upper pole fullness.  So there are many factors that need to be considered.  The experience of the surgeon and the degree to which they explain the options to you is of utmost importance.  Obviously all of my patients look at photographs and we evaluate the look they are desiring in great detail.  For me, high profile implants are the first choice. I rarely find an indication to use moderate or moderate plus implants. This does not make me a better surgeon, or a worse surgeon.  Look at the outcomes and judge for yourself.   The outcomes should stand on their own. The subtlety in the final outcome is not achieved by which profile implant is used, it is determined by the skill in the creation of the pocket, the choice of volume, and where in the range the implant is filled. Don't let the doctor tell you what would look good on you.  They cannot tell what you perceive to be the best size.

Breast augmentation, choosing the right size

Thank you for your question. Size is a critical question for many women who choose breast augmentation.  The key is to work with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with expertise and experience in breast augmentation.  There is an ideal shoe size for your foot. Too small and your foot will be crammed and too large and your foot will not fill the shoe. The same thing is true with breasts: too large and it will look round and fake; too small and it will be loose and empty on the top.  The common denominator to the most beautiful breasts is that they were sized objectively on the basis of measurements.  We combine a proven formula based on measurements of the rests and chest along with through discussions of patient's desires.  Photos of ideal breasts and results from patients with similar breasts are often very helpful in the discussion.  A rice test in the office or at home can also be very helpful.

Breast Augmentation Sizing

Thank you for your question and photos. The best way for you to determine what size options you have is for you to book a consultation in person with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. They will measure your breasts and discuss your goals and then let you know which implants fit your body. My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers in the office with a form-fitting T-Shirt in order to get an idea of how they will look.All the best

Breast implant size

Hello and thank you for your question. The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Selecting the best size implants for you

Thanks for asking!  Selecting the best size implant is very individualized.  In my practice, I take measurements of each patient's breasts to help determine minimum recommended and maximum recommended implant sizes that would be appropriate for that specific patient.  Then after a discussion of what the patient wants to achieve, we assist the patient in trying implant sizers in a bra to help them select a size.  You will need to talk to your doctor and he or she will be able to help you determine a size that fits your body and gives you the look you are hoping for.  In my practice, trying implants in a bra has worked really well to give patients an accurate idea of how they can expect to look with a particular implant.

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon