Could I still have internal stitches 9 years post breast augmentation?

I had breast augmentation 9 years ago. Today I felt a pokey thing inside my breast on the outside closest to my armpit. Could this be an internal stich that never broke down?

Internal Sutures

I recommend that you visit with your Plastic Surgeon to investigate as they would have records of exactly what was done/placed inside your body.
All the best

It is not likely that the suture material would not be dissolved.  If permanent sutures were used then that could be what you are feeling.  Best to make a visit with your doctor to see what you're experiencing.  Best wishes.

Camille Cash, MD

Suture 9 yers post surgery

Dissolving stitches are usually used along the incision site, you shouldn't have anything else internal. It would be best that you went back to your surgeon and get them to have a look to see what it might be.

Breast implant feel

thanks for your question and I hope all is well. If you had a primary breast augmentation (first time implants) then it is very unlikely that you have stitches that didn't dissolve. However, if it was a redo/ revisional breast augmentation then it is possible there may be nondissolving. stitches. Contact your plastic surgeon to have an exam with any questions. Best wishes.

Possible to have a stitch in your breast 9 years after Breast Augmentation?

It is possible, but unlikely.   When doing breast augmentation surgery, the only sutures are typically along the scar line and they are typically absorbable.   If this is where you are feeling the "pokey thing" then it is possible that your surgeon used a permanent suture.   In any case, you should follow up with your plastic surgeon or any plastic surgeon for a professional, in person opinion.    

Photos will help

Most surgeons use internal sutures that will dissolve.  Colored sutures such as black or blue are generally permanent sutures and need to be trimmed.

Typically in a primary breast augmentation in which only an implant is placed dissolvable sutures are used. At 9 years, these should have all completely dissolved. You should be seen by your plastic surgeon so that you can be examined in person to determine the exact issue.Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your stitch issue.  Unfortunately without a full series of photographs or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite advice.  Sutures are not typically placed along the side of your breast unless a repair or tightening of the breast implant pocket was performed and what you may be feeling is the edge, wrinkle, or ripple of your implant.  See your surgeon for an in-person examination.  They can best diagnose what is taking place and offer treatment advice.  Hope this helps.

Internal stitches

If you had capsule repair, some surgeons use permanent sutures and you might be feeling that. Hard to say without more information. Best of luck.