Extreme abdominal swelling after cool sculpting?

I had cool sculpting back in October. Everything was going fine and then in February the muscles around my abdominals became inflamed to the point where they were causing bruising to the outside of my skin. Since them the entire upper abdomen area that was treated by Coolsculpting is now inflamed and tender. It is not extreme pain just uncomfortable and tender if pushed on. I just want to know what is happening and to see if I can do anything to bring down the inflammation.

Swelling after CoolSculpting

Swelling and pain 4 months after your CoolSculpting treatment is not common.  Check with your physician to see what the issue may be.  It may or may not be a result from the treatment, so it definitely needs to be checked out.

Swelling after 4 months

It is not common to be swollen 4 months after Coolsculpting.  I would go back and have your doctor examine you.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Pain and bruising four months after CoolSculpting.

Thank you for your question. It is  unlikely to have inflammation,tenderness and bruising  four months after CoolSculpting. It is possible to have some neuropathic pain for more than 6 wks in some cases. I would suggest that you get examined by your physician who performed your CoolSculpting treatment in person.

Swelling and pain months after CoolSculpting

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Swelling and pain 4 months later is not common. I would recommend seeing a physician and being evaluated in-person.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Abdominal Swelling after Cool Sculpting?

Being that this swelling is several months later you definitely need to go back to your Doctor for an evaluation. There is a rare side effect but normally is very clearly the shape of the applicator and the tissue is dense and hard. This doesn't seem to be what you are describing but if you were my patient I would definitely want to evaluate you in person. You should have before pictures and then you can review photos that day too and they may help along with a physical exam. Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Side Effects

This is not a common side effect of CoolSculpting. I suggest following up with your physician for an in person evaluation to evaluate the underlying cause of your pain and inflammation. Best, Dr. Emer

There is a phenomena called paradoxical hyperplasia after CoolSculpting. It is rare but I have had two patients. The treated area enlarges and is painful. Liposuction was currative. See your doctor and contact the CoolSculpting company/local rep for more info. You are not crazy. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Pain and tenderness long after Coolsculpting treatment

This is not normal and needs evaluation. This may or may not be related to the Coolsculpting. I would discuss with your doctor and if not getting a satisfactory answer, discuss with a general surgeon. This might require a CT scan or MRI to fully evaluate the problem.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Swelling after Coolsculpting

I would consult with the provider of the services as this is an unusual outcome that we have not seen in the past. Certainly there is rare possibility of adipose hyperplasia and this can develop months later but it is usually localized to an area.  Other possibilities include another cause.  Inflammation in general can be treated with short course of oral steroids to see if this will minimize the swelling. 
All the bestDr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Months after Coolsculpting and Pain

Coolsculpting is an amazing procedure and I have never seen this in the years that I have been treating patients with this device.  I suggest you consult an expert to reach out to the company for advice.  Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green