Do a person Need to Wait for their Last Round of Botox to Wear off Before Doing miraDry?

MiraDry can be used even if there is still some residual effect from Botox.

MiraDry can be used even if there is still some residual effect from Botox. There is no need to start sweating severely again before embarking on this new approach.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

No need to wait

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.
Botox can be a good alternative while miradry is being approved for use in those areas. Botox prevents the nerves from telling the sweat glands to produce sweat and odor. Hope that helps!
And we are the busiest miraDry practice in California with great results. Let us know if you can help in any way.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

MiraDry can be performed while Botox effects have not worn off

Yes, you can have the miraDry procedure performed even when the effects of Botox for excessive underarm sweating have not worn off yet.  This is because miraDry and Botox have different mechanisms of action.  Botox injections temporarily diminish the firing of the nerves that control sweat gland function while miraDry eliminates sweat glands altogether through a novel microwave technology.  Specifically, miraDry utilizes microwave technology to selectively target and eliminate sweat glands in the armpits by focusing electromagnetic waves at a specific level in the body where sweat glands are located.  Botox typically lasts between 4 and 6 months with the effects wearing off near the end of that time frame.  MiraDry is the only FDA-approved procedure that offers long-lasting results.  Studies demonstrate that miraDry results last up to 2 years and are likely permanent as sweat glands do not regenerate.  

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

You can have miraDry while Botox is still working ..

It doesn't matter if you have had Botox while getting treated with miraDry. However, it is ideal if the physician can map the areas where there is sweating in order to give you the maximal benefit of the procedure. The area that needs treatment may be wider if the sweat glands are sweating, as opposed to having dry skin and not knowing if a larger area needs to be treated with miraDry.

Miradry can be done with Botox.

There is no need to wait for Botox to wear off. Botox and Miradry work in completely different ways. Botox decreases the muscle pump action whereas Miradry destroys the sweat glands through selective heating.

MiraDry and recent Botox use

There is no medical reason to have to wait until sweating is resumed after Botox to have MiraDry performed.  Botox is a neurological treatment to temporarily suppress sweat gland activity. MiraDry is an anatomical elimination of the gland itself, and does not depend on how active the gland is at the time of treatment.

Michael L. Maris, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of axillary hyperhidrosis that is being treated with Botox

I would wait until the Botox has almost completely worn off before initiating treatment for axillary hyperhidrosis. My management of this problem is comprehensive and any patient with axillary sweating that is possibly hyperhidrosis should be evaluated thoroughly before initiating treatment with Retrograde Suction Curettage or Miradry.  These techniques should be used with prudence and I would begin with a consultation to discuss your options, particularly with initiation of sweating.  In patients who have a long history of hyperhidrosis, waiting a month or two will be optimal for the Botox to partially wear off. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

MiraDry and Botox can be used at the same time

No, you do not need to wait.  You may do miraDry while the Botox is still there. 

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon