Second Hand Smoke and Breast Aug in a Month!

BA is on 12/23/16. My DR told me to quit smoking a month prior to the surgery, which I did, 11/23/16 However, after talking to one of my friends, she told me she had to do a Nicotine test prior to her surgery! I'm fine with that, but, I'm worried if secondhand smoke will trigger a positive. I work 40/hr a week in an air con office, which, my supervisor smokes about 3 packs a day. Will this second hand smoke trigger a positive and cause my doctor to cancel my surgery! Please advise I'm worried!

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Second hand smoke prior to surgery

Tobacco smoke exposure is more a concern with procedures where skin flaps are thin and circulation may be in danger, as in facelifts.  Many surgeons will not perform these procedures because of the restriction to circulation.  Breast augmentation does not have this level of risk, but the rate of healing may be delayed and bruised tissues may take longer to recover.  Second hand smoke exposure in your work environment may be unavoidable, but if you have stopped smoking personaly, then congratulations!  This may be the best step forward to a healthy future.  You surgeon should be pleased, and able to decide on proceeding with your breast augmentation once you explain this to him..

Second Hand Smoke and Breast Augmentation

First of all Thank you for the question.  Second had smoke can cause healing issues just as much as smoking. I would discuss your work environment with your plastic surgeon so that he/she is aware and the final decision will be up to your plastic surgeon. Best of Luck.

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. I think given your concerns you should explain to your PS that you are in an environment where second hand smoke is prevalent. The final decision will be based on his assessment. 

Best Wishes

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician