Does Vitrase or Dissolving Agent for Restylane Cause Swelling

Do dissolving agents for ha fillers cause swelling or bruising? I am trying to remove some lumps caused by restylane in my lips, but I'm doing it on a saturday and have an event on that evening (4 hours after my appointment).

Does Hyaluronidase cause swelling?

Hyaluronidase, generally speaking does not cause swelling but any time a needle is poked in to a delicate and sensitive area like the lips you can get swelling...some people more than others.  Ice, before and after the procedure,  is probably your best bet to minimize the swelling and have the best chance of showing up to your event without much swelling.  That being said, again, with any needle poke, not only is there a chance of swelling but bruising as well....so you may not be out of the woods from a risk/ side effect stand point.  Good luck.

That is close timing

Bruising is always possible when a needle is involved. Make sure it is FDA approved product as compounded material is more likely to cause swelling and even allergic reactions. I would try to get this done a few days before a big event. Vitrase causes little swelling and works very quickly. Good Luck.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Vitrase does not cause any swelling

Vitrase can be injected directly into the lump and cause the Restylane to dissolve in a day or two.  The risk of swelling is very low since it is a liquid and not a gel like Restylane itself.  You can get bruising as you would from any other injection.  It is probably best to wait until the day after the event for the injections.

Vitrase does not cause swelling when it dissolves Restylane

Vitrase does not cause swelling when it dissolves Restylane. You can use a tiny needle (32 gage) like we would use for BOTOX, and there shouldn’t be any swelling with these injections.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hyaluronidase to dissolve restylane in the lip

It's not the medicine but the treatment that can cause bruising and swelling.  Any needle stick may cause a big bruise.  The volume of the hyaluronidase going into the lip to dissolve either Restylane or Juvederm, will also add some "swelling" and you may react in a more exaggerated fashion than other patients, so I would recommned you defer the treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Vitrase side effects

Vitrase injections are usually well tolerated.  They can cause a small amount of swelling but this is typically less apparent than the HA that is being removed.  Vitrase can exert a visible effect as soon as a few hours after injection.  Bruising after vitrase injection can occur.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Does Vitrase to Reverse Restylane Cause Swelling?

Hi.  It's possible to have redness, swelling or bruising at the injection site, but for Vitrase it is unlikely to be noticeable.  We typically do not need to inject a lot of product.  That, combined with the fact that the Vitrase should be dissolving the Restylane should not make the area look any more swollen or bumpy than it may already.

We would recommend getting the treatment done days before the event, but if this is not possible and your injector is experienced with Vitrase then the potential benefit may be worth the risk if the bumps are bad enough.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Vitrase

Vitrase or hyaluronidase can dissolve the hyalruonics acid fillers. It may cause some swelling and could cause some bruising.

YES! Do not do 4 hours before an event. Not very good medicine. It is called the "what if" issue. How happy would you be if you had swelling and black and blue to your lips following the injection? Not tooo. I bet you did not tell the injecting doctor you are going to an event 4 hours after the injections, did you! From MIAMI Dr. darryl j. Blinski

Dissolving Agents

Anytime you have an injection, you are going to have some localized swelling from the volume of the injection.  Also, the "melting" of the HA will cause increased localized metabolic activity in the tissue which will also cause some very slight temporary swelling.  Also, as with any injection, there is always a chance of bruising, but this is dependent on your anatomy, your blood clotting, your genetics, the injection technique and the size of the needle.  The dissolving agents go through very small needles, so the risk is minimal.  However, I never recommend having any injection right before an important event.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD