Mastectomy for gender reasons

Hello, I am currently 26 and have known for quite some time that I am gender fluid. I don't know if you've ever worn a binder, but they are often very painful, restrictive and can often leave bruises. But they are a necessary part of the process of turning into a man on certain days. Plus high quality binders are often times very expensive. I'm currently a DDD and have been thinking of having a mastectomy for the past three years. Do you think a PS will do this? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 2

Mastectomy for Gender Reasons

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Top Surgery is the #reduction and masculinization of the breasts and chest for a person who wants a more #masculine chest.  This is often an individual who desires #gender reassignment. Breast tissue is #removed and the #nipple position is usually made smaller and then placed in a more masculine #anatomic #position.  Top surgery allows for a more #comfortable chest with improved psychosocial benefits. Clothing fits better, physical activity may be easier. The chest can also be made more masculine with fat #grafting or #implants to provide a more muscular and #sculpted #appearance. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

FTM top surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Be sure to visit a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in top surgery. If you do this it will ensure that you receive quality care for this procedure.  In many cases your insurance might even cover the procedure. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.