Do I need a lift? If so, what kind of lift? Or can my breasts become similar by just getting implants? (Photo)

My breasts are a cup size different . I want to get a breast augmentation but do I need a lift as well? I wanted to just obtain best results with out getting a lift, is that possible ? Thank you for your time and input.

Breast assymetry

Thank you for your question.  You have two different breasts.  You need two different sizes of breast implants to provide you with symmetry.   Your left side needs a bigger implant as it is smaller.  I would suggest the Allergan Inspira implant full profile.  You need more projection.   Your right side needs a lift as your nipple is lower.   This will give you nice symmetry.  Look for a board certified plastic surgeon that performs many breast will do very well. Good luck.

Unilateral breast lift and bilateral augmentation

Consider a breast reduction and lift of your larger breast and augmentation of both breasts with a reasonably sized breast implant. 

When breasts are asymmetric

options will be determined by what your expectations are and how perfect you have to be, understanding that perfection is a very elusive goal.  If you just want improve symmetry and you have extra fat somewhere on your body, you could just fat graft the smaller side so you would be more even.  Otherwise you are looking at asymmetric augmentation that could make the nipple levels more off, or having an augmentation and a lift/reduction on your larger side.  So it really depends on what you have to have from this as lifts will bring scars, costs, and risks with it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast lift needed

Breast lift needed; the amount of lift needed is determined by the implant that you are going to choose. The larger the implant, the less skin redundancy you will have. I prefer the vertical mastopexy. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Implants a slightly different volume and a right round block skin lift would be useful. Seek plastic surgeons in your area that specialize in these surgeries 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Candidate for a BL

The key to success lies in letting you surgeon know specifically what you would like to look like following the surgery. For example, how perky do you want to be, what shape do you want to have, etc.? However from your description it would appear that a lollipop type lift would be best for you rather than a periareolar lift like the Benelli procedure. Here is a rule of thumb that works for most patients. If you nipple is above your lower breast crease then often a periareolar lift will be sufficient for most patients. If your nipple is at or below your crease then a vertical lift (lollipop lift), inverted T or anchor pattern may be required. The Lollipop incision for Grade 3 or 4 ptosis (areolar near or below your breast crease) works best in my hands and the use of a Lollipop technique can lift your breast to the perkiness you desire. However, other plastic surgeons are more comfortable with an inverted T or Anchor Pattern technique.The donut lift does tend to both flatten and have scars widened as you are removing skin around the areola which causes tension in that single area causing it to "spring' apart over time. With the Lollipop incision the tension is spread out over a greater distance of the lower vertical scar (where the areola once was) causing less tension on the areola and entire closure. The vertical lift tends to cone the breast making it more shapely (conical) and less flat. For a visual take a paper circle, cut out a small wedge on the bottom and bring the edges together to see this effect. In general I would pick the best Surgeon and explain fully what you want to achieve rather than the technique. Always choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Asymmetric breast advice

OK, I'm a big believer in making the breasts out of the same "stuff". That means both breasts at the end of every case should have the same amount of natural fat and the same size implants. This means you have a couple of options, based on your desired size. You could reduce your right side and do a small skin reduction (prob a circumareolar lift). In this case, both breasts are all natural. If you like the size of your right breast, you could fat graft the left breast... again both breasts are natural. If you want both bigger, I would actually reduce the size of your right breast, and augment both breasts with the same size implant. See where I'm going with this here? This will not only give you a great short term result but will have great longevity as your natural fat may increase and decrease in the breasts and they will stay symmetric. Booyah.

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Breast lift?

There is quite a bit of asymmetry between your breasts.  The right side may need a lift, but it also depends on what size implants you desire.  My guess based on the photo is that the right side will probably need a small lift using a circum-vertical incision (lollypop).

David S. Chang, MD

Do I need a lift? If so, what kind of lift? Or can my breasts become similar by just getting implants?

It would be best to do a lift on the right side  to get symmetryAnother option to consider is the use of adjustable implantsSee the link below

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry with implants

Thank you for your question.  Dr Minniti is 100% correct that doing an augmentation alone with different sized implants will only make you look worse.  Your smaller breast will end up high and tight and your larger breast will look droopy even if it ends up the same size as the smaller breast.  This will give the illusion that the left (formerly smaller) breast is bigger than the right.  Doing a lift on the right side at the same time as placing different sized implants might look good for a while, but what will happen is that the lifted breast will drop more over time and you will end up in a similar situation.  My preference for dealing with an asymmetry such as yours would be to do a staged procedure by doing a lift with a minor reduction on the right side to make that breast look as close as I can get it to the smaller breast then coming back in a few months and placing implants of the same size on both sides.  That way you will have the most symmetry possible over time.  Just remember that you will NEVER have perfect symmetry between your breasts.  There will always be some differences between them.  

Lars Enevoldsen, MD
Modesto Plastic Surgeon